Large Aptasia Growing Under Vino Montipora…any ideas?

whitecloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large aptasia that I has been growing under my Vino Montepora that I noticed a few weeks ago. It is in spot that I cannot really get to without removing the rock (it is towards the top of the aquascape luckily. I tried Peppermint Shrimp and in 4 weeks they have done nothing. I don’t have enough aptasia to get Bergha Nudibranches (have one other large one in the very back of the tank…will be a challenge to get to…but can get to it.)

Any recommendations on how best to get rid of it? Many of the products available can damage corals, so concerned about using one of those.

Pics below.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

IMG_5600.jpeg
IMG_5601.jpeg

Dipi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my tank, where I had aiptasia intertwined with my zoa

I solved it with peppermint shrimp, although it was not easy. The first I bought didn't eat any and died after a month. The second went missing after the first week and never showed up again, I presumed it died too. But the thrid one did wonders and is thriving so far, it was maybe double the size of the other ones I had though. It devoured the aiptasia intertwined with my zoas and after 3 nights I had not a single visible aiptasia. It did not harm any of my LPS or RFA.

My advice is to try your luck with other peppermint shrimps and hope the one you get go for the aiptasia if your tank can accomodate more than one

OP
OP
W

whitecloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my tank, where I had aiptasia intertwined with my zoa

I solved it with peppermint shrimp, although it was not easy. The first I bought didn't eat any and died after a month. The second went missing after the first week and never showed up again, I presumed it died too. But the thrid one did wonders and is thriving so far, it was maybe double the size of the other ones I had though. It devoured the aiptasia intertwined with my zoas and after 3 nights I had not a single visible aiptasia. It did not harm any of my LPS or RFA.

My advice is to try your luck with other peppermint shrimps and hope the one you get go for the aiptasia if your tank can accomodate more than one

I’m glad to hear you had some success with peppermints! I have ordered a new clean up crew for a friend and to refresh my crew…and I’m getting 4 more peppermint shrimp. I ordered from Reeftopia as many people say that all their peppermints go after their aptasia! Fingers crossed!!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large aptasia that I has been growing under my Vino Montepora that I noticed a few weeks ago. It is in spot that I cannot really get to without removing the rock (it is towards the top of the aquascape luckily. I tried Peppermint Shrimp and in 4 weeks they have done nothing. I don’t have enough aptasia to get Bergha Nudibranches (have one other large one in the very back of the tank…will be a challenge to get to…but can get to it.)

Any recommendations on how best to get rid of it? Many of the products available can damage corals, so concerned about using one of those.

Pics below.

IMG_5600.jpeg
IMG_5601.jpeg
I had the same problem but it was on a rock with some zoas. I used lemon juice and it is gone.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can irritate it to get it to shrivel up and then cover the spot with some reef safe epoxy or super glue.

pezgal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pics below.

IMG_5600.jpeg
IMG_5601.jpeg
Are any of your coral actively avoiding it or showing signs of distress at its proximity? Most of my coral aren't particularly concerned about the big ones and only seem to actively dislike little ones that attach to exposed skeleton near the polyps living on said skeleton. And softies could seem to care little about sharing space with them at all. Just like with all anemones they can be coaxed into moving if you make their current spot less hospitable. Sometimes when they're holed up in a cozy spot such as this you can convince them to move on or even starve them out by covering them up. I have a set of oyster valves that I place over problematic majanos for this purpose. Sometimes they will move to another area and if you can catch them while not in death grip mode you can actually suck them off what ever they're holding onto. They are incredibly hardy to a wide range of temperature and conditions though and are absolute masters at regenerating from even the smallest bit of leftover tissue when there is food for them eat. I've had one live happily in my discard bucket in room temp water, filled with all of the garbage I've cleaned out of my tank and sump, and zero air exchange.

OP
OP
W

whitecloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely in amazement!!

I received 6 Peppermint Shrimp from Reeftopia yesterday…and today…yes…less than 24 hours…they have devoured the aptasia under the monti that I was so concerned about. Competely gone! The aptasia had been causing tissue damage to the monti…and no signs of any tissue damage today at all! I am so shocked that in one day they could do this!

I hope they are hungry tomorrow…there is one more in the tank for them!!!

IMG_5626.jpeg IMG_5627.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back