Large aquariums on second floor safe?

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this might be a silly question but I have a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump I've avoided putting back together out of fear if it falling through the floor. Am I being ridiculous, or is this something I should avoid?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this might be a silly question but I have a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump I've avoided putting back together out of fear if it falling through the floor. Am I being ridiculous, or is this something I should avoid?
Depends where its placed.
I honestly think, unless you live in an old victorian home to anything circa 1950, you have nothing to worry about ~125g and below.

That being said, keep the weight against a load bearing wall and running with the joists :)

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sleepy chris evans GIF by Videoland

That's how I would sleep

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon just isn’t that big of a tank and will be fine on anything but an already-about-to-collapse floor. If you do the math, the tank probably only holds 65 ish gallons anyhow. I just saved you 80 pounds LOL.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon on my second floor, I put it on the exterior wall so it has the most support, almost all exterior walls are load bearing up to a point, I wouldn't sweat over a 75g with sump, I have 3 tanks in this room and I don't lose sleep over it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Depends where its placed.
I honestly think, unless you live in an old victorian home to anything circa 1950, you have nothing to worry about ~125g and below.

That being said, keep the weight against a load bearing wall and running with the joists :)
No heavier than a large couch or sectional and even a dining hutch. Yourte looking at Max 900# with sump and rock

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only two ways to know. Test it and pray or ask the "experts" on R2R. Well i guess a third way is to ask a real expert. Seriously though i would have no concerns. I have had a 120g with sump in a second story and still was not concerned(other than being worried about a leak ruining ceiling below).

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical saltwater aquarium/ocean water weighs 8.57 lbs per gallon.

I'm just coming back here to edit for giggles...
Fresh Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon. Saltwater/ocean water is roughly 1.03 times more dense than fresh water, thus 8.57 lbs per gallon.

Come on people, how can the man sleep underneath that second floor tank if he's playing Russian Roulette with .24 lbs per gallon!
;Smuggrin

...and I'm back again with yet another edit...
LARGE tanks have been officially defined on R2R as...
1614735430764.png

... so OP's tank is barely halfway to Large, counting tank and sump.
My question is... "What does your homeowner's insurance carrier say about an aquarium on the second floor?"

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water does a bathtub hold. They put bathtubs on second floors. Water weighs about 7 pounds per gallon.
Close 8.33 lbs per gallon... plus the rock and glass and equiptment.
That said... a cast iron tub weighs about 385 pounds, dry.... add 267 pounds for water (32 gallon tub) and a 250 pound person. Not even counting the rubber ducky, that beats a 75 gallon reef tank all day long.
(And yes... I have had to do this same calculation for people who want to put a tub in mobile homes circa 1960 and they just don't get why not....)

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close 8.33 lbs per gallon... plus the rock and glass and equiptment.
That said... a cast iron tub weighs about 385 pounds, dry.... add 267 pounds for water (32 gallon tub) and a 250 pound person. Not even counting the rubber ducky, that beats a 75 gallon reef tank all day long.
(And yes... I have had to do this same calculation for people who want to put a tub in mobile homes circa 1960 and they just don't get why not....)

that’s about exactly the route I was going. Thanks for the correct numbers as I was just guessing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back