Large beautiful Tessalata Eel for sale

TammyR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got in this beautiful eel and he is awesome but too large for the rest of my fish. He is eating silversides from my hand but also helping himself to my tank fish :-( paid $85 plus shipping but if someone wants and will come get him I'll sell for $50

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guilty as charged.

Sorry Tammy

A friend and co-worker of mine ask me this morning, Monday, if I had had a good weekend. I replied “Well, it could have been worse.†He asked what happened. I said;

“Do you remember the eel that I was going to get? We talked about it last Friday.†He said “Yeaâ€.

I set up a new tank. It was going to house the fish that were living in the tank for the eel. The new tank looked good. I started catching the fish to move them. Not an easy task in an 8ft. tank. I removed about ½ of the live rock (some was already in the new tank). Caught 4 of the five fish, and moved them to the new tank. I was having a hard time catching the fifth and last fish. There were 3 star fish. They did not want to be caught either.

I looked at the new tank thinking what a good thing I had done – saving the fish I had, and making room for the eel. The 4 fish were dead. Not sure what I had done. But the whole thing only took about 30 minutes (moving the fish – that is).

So, I was just about to go to bed and feel sorry for myself because I had just killed 4 of my most favorite fish.

But that would not do – I had to meet Tammy and get the eel.

I met Tammy and got the eel. It went in the tank great. I checked on it later that night when the lights were off and it was hunting my rocks.

The next day, Sunday, I went to church not even thinking to check on the eel. I was still bummed about the 4 fish dying. After church I watched some TV and later I went down to feed the eel.

It had jumped out of the tank, was on the floor – dead.

I know what happened this time. I had been so bummed about the 4 fish that I neglected to put a top on the tank. I had killed 4 great fish and now I had killed the eel that I had talked Tammy into selling me. She had a great place for it, but I wanted it. I knew about the need for a lid. I was bummed and lazy.

I am telling this story to confess – not for more shame to me placed on me (I am not sure I could take more than I have given myself), not for pity (I deserve none), and not any other reason except to encourage others not to make the same mistakes.

Sorry the story was so long.

Sorry Tammy

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I think it would be a good thing if we did some screens at a meeting sometime. I've been wanting to make one like they have at Aquatic Marine...it's like a 1/2" plastic mesh. I've got a couple wrasses, but in a 220g tank, they havne't jumped out yet. I know I'll be kicking myself if they do one day.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea Spenser,do you know where to get that white small plastic screen?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they said lowes had it. It doesnt block light, which I like.

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some that is green, but it is too thick. It would block too much light.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stuff they had at AM is like a chickenwire size but made of plastic. It seemed perfect. Only thing would be the metal screen frames would rust if they are steel. The aluminum frames would probably hold up pretty well. ....

Last edited:

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff that TriMax is referring to is called predator netting. You can install it into a screen frame just like a regular screen. Very handy stuff.

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum oxidizes/corrodes badly around saltwater also. Many public beaches won't allow glass and plastic bottles, but will allow aluminum cans due to the fact that if they're swept into the water they'll degrade in the saltwater. I'm sure it'd be better than anything steel that will rust.

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess 1/2 pvc pipe would not be pretty enough, huh? :wink:

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got another eel. It was a last minute thing. So, the top of his tank looks like I am trying to keep in a very strong escape artist. I have read and experienced that that is what they are. I looks terrible -- rocks, egg crate, styrofoam, lumber (1x2, 1x4, 1x6), pvc pipe, cardboard - mostly what ever I had. I am going to construct tops using 1/2 pvc. Did not like the idea of metal over the tank (aluminum or steel), expecially in contact with the top. Pics in a day or two. I have got to improve several other areas with the increased bioload.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build u a 1X2 frame get some of the plastic screen from Lowes,Ace Hardware,Home Depot,WalMart,Tractor supply staple it to the frame ital. get ya by and eliminates all your rocks,cardboard,pvc pipe,egg crate,1x2 s 1x4s 1x6s....

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to use 1/2 pvc, bird netting, tie wraps, and velcro. :bigsmile:

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Eddie,thought it was an eel you where trying to keep in didn't know it was a bird.......:eyebrows:......lol ! ! !

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when you get old Buddy........................................................................:squigglemouth:

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it all depends on who your messen with don't it ! LOVE lol ! :tongue:

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, were you messing with me? I thought I was messing with you.....

There hawk fish, butterfly fish, cardinals with pajamas, batfish, frogfish, goarfish, hogfish, lionfish, rabbirfish, seahorses, squirrelfish, angelfish............

What are you keeping in your tank? :wink:

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$10,000 worth of LPS,SPS,Zoas,nothing much just some high end corals...oh and a few fish,but then I only have a 120 gal. tank also,oh sorry you've seen it...lol :whistle:

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back