Large Hermit Crab ID

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey guys,

I was wondering what kind of hermit crab this is?

Found in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. There are quite a number of these guys at the beach here (not exactly on the beach, they stick to the rocks from 1m - 5m down, maybe deeper but I cant go down that far and check).

Appearance:
Video shows him nicely I think, so not much to say here apart from that he is big (his shell is 8.2cm long at its widest) and those claws are super sharp. He is one of the bigger ones.

Feeding behavior:
I have been trying to grow a decent colony of Aptasia (yes I know this is not considered "normal" behavior, but I find them quite pretty), and over the past few months I had managed to get a few growing of different sizes. I added this crab to my tank, from which he immediately changed his shell to a better one I had, and then ate all the Aptasia I had. In only a few hours all gone. Not one was left.
I have about 15 standard green/blue mushroom corals dotting the rocks. He investigated these but left them all alone. None have been touched.
Tank mates are 8 x yellow tail damsels, 2 x Allardi clowns, 3 x blue legged hermits, 1 x long spine sea urchin. He has not bothered anyone.

Here is another strange part, he doesnt like eating shrimp or meaty foods (I assumed he would be predatory) on all occasions I fed and tried to feed him, but spends his days picking at rocks and going through the sand.

Here is another video of a smaller one:

Thanks for your help in advance.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,honestly not sure,but you found a "reef safe"?? crab that eats apstasia :cool: :cool:

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,honestly not sure,but you found a "reef safe"?? crab that eats apstasia :cool: :cool:
Hey man, thanks for the reply.
I dont know if I would say reef safe exactly. Yes he doesnt seem to eat corals and does devours aptasia, but he is like a bull dozer and very strong. You can hear him at night clanking around, pushing over rocks etc. He loves to look under rocks and generally sift things.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like this yet another marine organism I have found here that no one has yet been able to idenfity :) I should naming these creatures I find haha.

" Becker Paguroidea " I will name them. Im going to collect a few more specimens and start documenting these guys with this name lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back