Large Magnetic Frag racks for 1" glass

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself like others scouring the web for a frag rack that is magnetic(for 1" glass) and looks like live rock. After only finding one option that I did not like due to its price and dimensions, I thought "Whelp....guess I will make my own".

I have two questions for my fellow DIY's

1. What strength magnets do I need? I was thinking of buying one designed for 1/2" glass and just upgrading the dry side magnet to something much stronger. Will this work and what strength?

2. If option one will not work I will buy some dry live rock. Drill it and silicone the magnets into the rock. With this I plan on using on old plumbers trick with Silicone and a Dixie cup to completely encase the water side magnet in silicone prior to attaching it to the rock. Any issues I am not considering with this approach? Any recommended silicone?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefrax. That's what I'll most likely be going with for my setup (supports up to 3/4").

Last edited:

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I find myself like others scouring the web for a frag rack that is magnetic(for 1" glass) and looks like live rock. After only finding one option that I did not like due to its price and dimensions, I thought "Whelp....guess I will make my own".

1. What strength magnets do I need? I was thinking of buying one designed for 1/2" glass and just upgrading the dry side magnet to something much stronger. Will this work and what strength?

2. If option one will not work I will buy some dry live rock. Drill it and silicone the magnets into the rock. With this I plan on using on old plumbers trick with Silicone and a Dixie cup to completely encase the water side magnet in silicone prior to attaching it to the rock. Any issues I am not considering with this approach? Any recommended silicone?

Here's a post about making one. Just need to size the magnets up.

Post in thread 'Making frag “rack” out of flat rock/“flats”???' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/making-frag-“rack”-out-of-flat-rock-“flats”.929391/post-10494730

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!
Do you have a link to that products page or a link to info on the product?
Sorry, Reefrax.

OP
OP
Q

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link for a magnet supplier a lot of reefers use that might help.
So I purchased 4 of the larger magnets for 1" glass. Just have to go pick out my shelf rock from the LFS(thatfishplace). I will upload photos once I get it all slapped together.

OP
OP
Q

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is what I came up with. It cost more than I initially imagined but still cheaper than the comparable options online. Total cost was around $350 with the magnets being the bulk of the cost. My goal was under $200 as the other option was going to total $600 including shipping for 2 pieces. Still kept the savings high enough to justify the effort. Took me roughly 2hrs excluding cure time.

Materials:
2x 5lb live rock flats
12x Magnets
1x Aquarium Sealant

Tools:
Dremel with masonry wheel
DeWalt Multi Tool with Carbide blade
20221217_165713.jpg
20221218_193013.jpg
20221218_193352.jpg
20221218_193127.jpg

Attachments

• 20221218_193107.jpg
    20221218_193107.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221218_193402.jpg
    20221218_193402.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 17

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Looks good! Looks much better than some of those fake floating rocks!

What size magnets did you use, looks like you could use it as a step climbing in and out of your tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Q

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Q

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can speak from experience.....

It hurts....like a lot....like instant blood blister. If you don't know how to properly handle magnets that strong you quickly learn lol...like what not to sit them next too....or understanding the proximity at which two magnets can become finger guillotines!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back