Large, reef safe wrasse?

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some wrasses that get in the 5-6+ inch range, and can be considered reef-safe. From my research so far, halichoeres genus wrasses seem to be the top contender but have a high probability of eating ornamental shrimp like cleaners. My tank is 300 gallons.

Another benefit would be a peaceful attitude from them. I have fallen in love with the thalassoma genus but quickly found out they are aggressive and not a good fit for reef tanks.

Thank you!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some wrasses that get in the 5-6+ inch range, and can be considered reef-safe. From my research so far, halichoeres genus wrasses seem to be the top contender but have a high probability of eating ornamental shrimp like cleaners. My tank is 300 gallons.

Another benefit would be a peaceful attitude from them. I have fallen in love with the thalassoma genus but quickly found out they are aggressive and not a good fit for reef tanks.

Thank you!
Honestly, most of the wrasses at 5-6” are the boisterous species. I’d personally go for smaller but more - 5-6” wrasses you could only have maybe 20 but 3-5” wrasses you could have 30-40.

Without any information on the tank we can’t help much. These few questions will open up more options to what we can offer:
1. Sand or No Sand? If you do have sand, how deep is it?
2. Dimensions of the tank? Some wrasses prefer more height than length such as Madagascan Half Bar Flashers.
3. Other Tank Mates? Most wrasses don’t do well with too much aggression during introduction.

This information may seem a bit too much but really, in these threads more is so much better, many who love a certain species of fish like wrasses will read all this information.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, most of the wrasses at 5-6” are the boisterous species. I’d personally go for smaller but more - 5-6” wrasses you could only have maybe 20 but 3-5” wrasses you could have 30-40.

Without any information on the tank we can’t help much. These few questions will open up more options to what we can offer:
1. Sand or No Sand? If you do have sand, how deep is it?
2. Dimensions of the tank? Some wrasses prefer more height than length such as Madagascan Half Bar Flashers.
3. Other Tank Mates? Most wrasses don’t do well with too much aggression during introduction.

This information may seem a bit too much but really, in these threads more is so much better, many who love a certain species of fish like wrasses will read all this information.
Thanks! So the tank is 96 x 24 x 30 (lxwxh). I have sand that is about 1 and a half inches thick. Current tank inhabitants is a female lyretail anthias, carpenter flasher wrasse, royal gramma, and 4x juvenile yellow tangs. I plan to add a small blue tang in a few weeks

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have melanarus wrasse. He is a bout 4" now but have seen videos on youtube of peeps with 6" ones. Mine doesnt mess with snails crabs or shrimp. Keep him well fed and you should be good. Only down side is he does cover my corals in sand alot. Between burying in it and getting mouthfuls and swimming across tank spitting it out its a bit annoying. But other than that model citizen. No aggressive at all.

Had a lunar wrasse in my old 150 with live rock for years and they are aggressive even for big aggressive fish. thalassoma wrasses are gorgeous but are not good reef inhabitants at all.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So the tank is 96 x 24 x 30 (lxwxh). I have sand that is about 1 and a half inches thick. Current tank inhabitants is a female lyretail anthias, carpenter flasher wrasse, royal gramma, and 4x juvenile yellow tangs. I plan to add a small blue tang in a few weeks
In that tank size your options are very open!

Now, as everyone has a different preference in pricing I’ll put in a mix of rare and common species (I know I tend to prefer the colours on the cheaper species… many rarer species are quite bland to my eyes).
For sure we need Atleast 4-5 Paracheilinus species to get that Carpenteri in its true colours!
So I’d personally add 4-5 of these;
P. flavianalis - Yellow Fin Flasher
P. rubricaudalis - Red Fin Flasher
P. lineopunctatus - Dot Dash Flasher
P. cyaneus - Blue Flasher
P. bellae - Bell’s Flasher
P. attenuatus - Attenuated Flasher
P. hemitaeniatus - Madagascar Half Bar Flasher
P. angulatus - Angulate Flasher
P. piscilineatus - Mauritian Flasher
P. filamentosus - Filamented Flasher

And to mix in with these guys I’d also get a few Cirrhilabrus species, with flashers these guys will also show their true colours. I’d probably add 5-6 possibly 7 of these:
C. naokoae - Naoko’s Fairy
C. lubbocki - Lubbock’s Fairy (This species has two variants, if you want then I can show you photos I got of both variants).
C. shutmani - Magma Fairy
C. johnsoni - Johnson’s Fairy
C. isosceles - Pintail Fairy
C. exquisitus - Exquisite Fairy
C. adornatus - Adorned Fairy
C. flavianalis - Yellow Fin Fairy
C. efatensis - Hooded Fairy
C. bathyphilus - Deep Water Hooded Fairy
C. nahackyi - Nahacky Fairy
C. africanus - African Longfin Fairy
C. brunneus - Dusky Fairy
C. hygroxerus - Monsoon Fairy

Then obviously we need all the sand sleepers (Anampses, Halichoeres, Pseudojuloides, Macropharyngodon)! So I’d pick Atleast 9-10 of these (Be warned: some are slightly more difficult than others so if you want to know about specific species feel free to ask):
H. iridis - Radiant (Absolute must have, especially with fish of the same colour palette)
H. leucoxanthus - Silver Belly
H. melasmopomus - Earmuff
H. rubricephalus - Red Head
H. pallidus - Babi
H. biocellatus - Red Lined
H. cosmetus - Adorned
H. marginatus - Dusky
H. pelicieri - Pelicer’s
A. neoguinaicus - China/Black Backed Tamarin
A. meleagrides - Yellow Tail Tamarin
A. geographicus - Geographic Tamarin
A. lineatus - Linear Tamarin
A. twistii - Yellow Belly Tamarin
M. negrosensis - Black Leopard
M. bipartitus - Blue Star Leopard
M. marisrubri - Red Sea Leopard (often confused with bipartitus)
M. viviennae - Vivienne’s Leopard
M. kuiteri - Kuiter’s Leopard
M. moyeri - Moyer’s Leopard
M. ornatus - Ornate Leopard
M. meleagris - Leopard
M. cyanoguttatus - Blue Spotted Leopard
P. severnsi - Royal Pencil
P. xanthometopon - Mauritian Pencil
P. kaleidos - Blue Nose Pencil
P. polackorum - African Pencil

Don’t forget: these lists are not limited to these species only. I cant list every single species as in one genus alone there is 70+ species and more still to be separated from other species and to be discovered in the depths.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now, as everyone has a different preference in pricing I’ll put in a mix of rare and common species (I know I tend to prefer the colours on the cheaper species… many rarer species are quite bland to my eyes).
For sure we need Atleast 4-5 Paracheilinus species to get that Carpenteri in its true colours!

And to mix in with these guys I’d also get a few Cirrhilabrus species, with flashers these guys will also show their true colours. I’d probably add 5-6 possibly 7 of these:
C. lubbocki - Lubbock’s Fairy (This species has two variants, if you want then I can show you photos I got of both variants).

Then obviously we need all the sand sleepers (Anampses, Halichoeres, Pseudojuloides, Macropharyngodon)! So I’d pick Atleast 9-10 of these (Be warned: some are slightly more difficult than others so if you want to know about specific species feel free to ask):
H. iridis - Radiant (Absolute must have, especially with fish of the same colour palette)
H. pallidus - Babi
H. cosmetus - Adorned
H. marginatus - Dusky
H. pelicieri - Pelicer’s
M. meleagris - Leopard

Don’t forget: these lists are not limited to these species only. I cant list every single species as in one genus alone there is 70+ species and more still to be separated from other species and to be discovered in the depths.
Incredible list as always but if you're including stupidly expensive wrasse then I'll throw in
A femininus - blue stripe tamarin
A lennardi - Lennardi's wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible list as always but if you're including stupidly expensive wrasse then I'll throw in
A femininus - blue stripe tamarin
A lennardi - Lennardi's wrasse
I left them out as almost nobody has been able to keep them alive for over a year or two.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

H. pallidus - Babi
H. cosmetus - Adorned
H. marginatus - Dusky
H. pelicieri - Pelicer’s
M. meleagris - Leopard

Solid list. Having a fleet of flashers and fairies would be awesome in a tank that size. I’d like to add a few others:

Cirrhilabrus solorensis - I have always had bad luck with these guys, but they are cool and on the affordable end. Great color and IME peaceful

Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - a jewel of the sea and peaceful

Cirrhilabrus lunatus - another beauty, stays on the smaller side. Though, I’d rather have the beautiful pintail.

Also, I’d be sure to figure out some way to have a lid/covering so no one goes skydiving and carpet surfing! And I’d probably add a Naoko last, they are beautiful, but mine spent the better part of half a decade showing his wrasse across every inch of the tank and every fish in town :)

FishKeeper.mp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

H. pallidus - Babi
H. cosmetus - Adorned
H. marginatus - Dusky
H. pelicieri - Pelicer’s
M. meleagris - Leopard

You should make your own website about wrasses lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on Bluezoo aquatics they have a section for reef safe wrasse, you could look through there and find what one you like the best color wise and then figure out where you want to get them from!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on Bluezoo aquatics they have a section for reef safe wrasse, you could look through there and find what one you like the best color wise and then figure out where you want to get them from!
Or do what I did and go to the LFS and look. I ended up with a beautiful ornate leopard wrasse doing that! Shes just so colorful!!

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpeg
    IMG_2169.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 52

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back