Large skimmer small tank

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g AIO and a HOB skimmer rates for 40-70G. What would happen if i ran this skimmer? I would like to save money and not have to buy a new skimmer if this would work. I can even run on a timer if it skims too clean.
what do you think?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say ‘yep’ to running it on a timer if you feel it’s stripping out too much— either by number of hours per day with a ‘dumb’ timer or even choose which days to run it with a smarter kind of timer/app. experiment, as you certainly won’t need much skimming (if any) for a 10 gallon. But it’s fun to play around, No?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g AIO and a HOB skimmer rates for 40-70G. What would happen if i ran this skimmer? I would like to save money and not have to buy a new skimmer if this would work. I can even run on a timer if it skims too clean.
what do you think?

Provides an upgrade option for later use.
Can be used for isolation of fish, corals, grow out.
Can turn down if small DC pump is used - not sure if they are that small.
Timer is a great option a couple times per week or hours per day.

You have options if it fits. Just depends on the tank stocking and maturity. It may not be required today but tomorrow who knows.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you think?
What kind of skimmer? Most ratings are kind of out of whack or for very light bioload when they rate them.

I also agree with @JumboShrimp that you may as well run it. It could also be placed to act as a powerhead and addition flow. This saving you from needing to buy one.

In addition, if it is tunable, you can always set it for a super “dry” skim to keep from stripping too many nutrients out.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer? Most ratings are kind of out of whack or for very light bioload when they rate them.

I also agree with @JumboShrimp that you may as well run it. It could also be placed to act as a powerhead and addition flow. This saving you from needing to buy one.

In addition, if it is tunable, you can always set it for a super “dry” skim to keep from stripping too many nutrients out.
I have this skimmer rated 40-70g https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamaxx-hob-1-5-hang-on-back-protein-skimmer.html

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are wonderful skimmers for smaller tanks. I used one on my biocube 14 and then on my biocube 32. Super easy to setup and they stay tuned once broken in.

Just raise the cup up as far as it will go when first running it to allow it to break in for a week. After that lower the cup a little at a time and watch for where the bubbles pop and the crud collects. You can then decide if wet or dry skim by how far down or up the cup sits. Always let the skimmer sit a few hours to a day to see how it does before making another adjustment.

I would say a good place to start would be to have the crud collect with the cup about 1/2” down into where it sits. This should produce a very dry skim and allow you to not strip nutrients out at a very quick rate.

As with anything oversized, be sure to test regularly to make sure all is staying at the parameters you aim to keep the tank at.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% run a skimmer but not the one you have. If anything you want to go with a lower capacity rated one otherwise you'll strip the nutrients out of your tank, your corals will die. I would go with a small nano skimmer.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% run a skimmer but not the one you have. If anything you want to go with a lower capacity rated one otherwise you'll strip the nutrients out of your tank, your corals will die. I would go with a small nano skimmer.
This is not correct. Skimmer (even when large) can be tuned to not pull a ton or set on a timer to avoid stripping nutrients too much. Even a small skimmer ran wet in a lower nutrient tank can cause issues. Heck no skimmer and too many water changes can do the same thing.

It all comes down to testing and adjusting the export methods used to keep things at the params the person wants to keep them at.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back