Large Striped Trochus Snail Issue

AL'S AQUARIUMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put 5 large striped trochus snails in my rimless 40 gallon AIO. I keep it without a top on it because I like how it looks. They are absolute eating machines and are doing great!

Each morning I wake up to 2-4 dried saltwater streaks running down the outside of my tank glass. This is due to the snails crawling out of the tank up on to the rim at night.

Any ideas how to prevent them from doing this without installing a top on the reef tank?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put 5 large striped trochus snails in my rimless 40 gallon AIO. I keep it without a top on it because I like how it looks. They are absolute eating machines and are doing great!

Each morning I wake up to 2-4 dried saltwater streaks running down the outside of my tank glass. This is due to the snails crawling out of the tank up on to the rim at night.

Any ideas how to prevent them from doing this without installing a top on the reef tank?

Not really much else to do but get a top. All my snails do this..... sometimes I find them on the floor and I just toss ‘em back in.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
699d2763342b539b2523948aca1a647d.jpg

Or a mesh top. Your call[emoji57]

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try different border material to see which ones the snails don't like to crawl on, like maybe the loop side of velcro or some kind of fabric.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you could spend 22 million on a border but they might crawl in from the other side , forgot about that . all jokes aside trochus probably wont go over they'll just go right to the top. now nerite snails you will be picking up off the floor

OP
OP
AL'S AQUARIUMS

AL'S AQUARIUMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much else to do but get a top. All my snails do this..... sometimes I find them on the floor and I just toss ‘em back in.

Thanks yeah just looking to see if anyone had any ideas. I find mine on the floor sometimes as well and toss them back in. I just hope they don't do it when I am on a business trip. I might get a top for when I am not home.

699d2763342b539b2523948aca1a647d.jpg

Or a mesh top. Your call[emoji57]

lol, a little overkill don't you think? ;)

you could try different border material to see which ones the snails don't like to crawl on, like maybe the loop side of velcro or some kind of fabric.

I like this idea! I will report back if I try it.

you could spend 22 million on a border but they might crawl in from the other side , forgot about that . all jokes aside trochus probably wont go over they'll just go right to the top. now nerite snails you will be picking up off the floor

Note to self: Don't by nerite snails, lol.

I find snails on the floor from time to time as well. Just toss them back in the tank and clean up any streaks they left. The streaks is what tells me to look on the floor, lol.

haha, same! I'm hoping to eliminate the streaking and keep them in the tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back