Large tank reseal

  • Thread starter Thread starter s2minute
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
dont know if this helps you:
Oceanic merged with All-Glass a long time ago and I think they were eventually absorbed by Aqueon. maybe that helps in your searching.
 
dont know if this helps you:
Oceanic merged with All-Glass a long time ago and I think they were eventually absorbed by Aqueon. maybe that helps in your searching.
Yes, they then discontinued production of this size and type. Planet Aquarium out of Texas makes them now. They even have some of the guys from Oceanic working for them making the 175 Bow Fronts but, they are wholesale only. UPDATE: Balls!!!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 106
Am I missing something here? Why are we trying to get the plastic frame off?

I've resealed A LOT of tanks. Slice the old silicon out of the inside only, thoroughly clean the glass with alcohol or acetone, and reapply the silicon. There's a couple tricks I could add, but short story is I see no reason to remove the frame, but let me know if/why I'm wrong.
 
Don’t despair. That can actually be fixed! Use a two part epoxy that binds well to ABS plastic. A liquid epoxy would probably be best for this. You’ll need to remove the rest of the frame first however. It’ll be much easier to get the pieces to fit back together just right. A clamp might help too. Not too tight but enough to keep the pieces together.

Can you use a steak knife with a serrated edge to cut away at the adhesive? You’d need to make sure you don’t put much pressure on the glass but you might be able to gently pry the frame loose.

Once you reseal the tank you can use an adhesive that binds to plastic and glass that’s also reef safe. Probably a two part epoxy. Of course it would have to be reef safe. J. B. Waterweld is reef safe although the company that makes it will never say that. I’ve used it though in areas where it was in contact with the water on several tanks and no fish or invert deaths. Not even with bubble tip anemones.
 
Last edited:
With how far 3D printing has came in the past couple years, you might be able to find someone with a printer and piece together a new rim.

I’m not sure if it will help, but try a heat gun to help release that adhesive
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new