Large tank stand top - Coosa Board?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chome360
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chome360

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2025
Messages
131
Reaction score
57
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to pin down the ideal top to my new stand. Tank is 440 gallons, 86 in long and 42 in wide. Stand is alufab, mostly of 3x3s. 12-In gaps in between the support beams on top.

I was originally planning on going with starboard, either 3/4 inch or 1 in thick. The more I look into it the more it sounds like starboard can "creep" over the years. Seems that Marine plywood is the safer bet, a beast as far as avoiding creep over time. I'd really like to stay away from wood in this project, brought me to coosa board.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, and I can't find anything from anybody else about using coosa board, which seems like a red flag. But everything about it seems perfect for the job.

Anyone use this before?

PXL_20260228_023247765.jpg PXL_20260228_023256411.jpg
 
Did you talk with Alufab about their PVC top? The guy in this video got something directly from them for his top and sump area.



Go to the 1:25 mark.
 
Did you talk with Alufab about their PVC top? The guy in this video got something directly from them for his top and sump area.



Go to the 1:25 mark.

I did, but shipping costs didn't make it make sense for me when I can just buy the same thing locally and pick it up myself. I think that's just due to the size of the sheet I would need. But in searching for to get this, started looking at regular HDPE vs starboard vs other options.

That was a great video though, ended up helping me on some assembly steps that I was stumped on!
 
Makes sense. I don't know anything about coosa boards but a quick search and I think you'd be OK. Maybe put a thin foam mat between the board and the tank though.
 
Makes sense. I don't know anything about coosa boards but a quick search and I think you'd be OK. Maybe put a thin foam mat between the board and the tank though.
Agreed, yeah my tank has the foam mat already glued to the bottom of the tank. Not sure yet on the thickness though.

Just seems strange to me that I can't find anybody else who's used coosa board. I don't want to be the first one to do it! Haha
 
Never heard of Coosa but it looks perfectly fine as long as it doesn't compress.

By 'creep' do you mean sliding off the stand?

Why not 3/4" pvc sheet from lowes? Wht not plywood? I used plywood on my big tank with no issues.
 
Never heard of Coosa but it looks perfectly fine as long as it doesn't compress.

By 'creep' do you mean sliding off the stand?

Why not 3/4" pvc sheet from lowes? Wht not plywood? I used plywood on my big tank with no issues.
Creep meaning a very small amount of sagging between my supports (12 inch gaps) over a very long period of time. Tank us 440 gallons. Supposedly marine plywood performs the best, coosa board second (1st if you stick with none wood) and starboard 3rd with standard HDPE after that.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new