Large tank upgrade and design process

madreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, as title states I have a plan and I need to get it in motion and design and really finalise bits and bobs before getting this project on the go I have designed a pretty large drop off tank that I want to try and put in motion but have a few spanner’s I need you lovely people’s help to throw out the way so this project can get on the move and to be able to get talking to custom tank builders.

So my question is what would be the best lighting to use on the deepest part of the tank 170cm from top to sand bed ? I want it to be a mixed reef but lighting has stumped me as I want to be different from the rest and just want the drop off to look amazing

IMG_1333.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna tell you from experience drops off suck! lol.. I was one the original people to build one many years ago it’s on here some where… flow and lighting is horrible on the end as it catches everything and it settles.. I ran halides on mine when I had it up.

OP
OP
madreefman

madreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna tell you from experience drops off suck! lol.. I was one the original people to build one many years ago it’s on here some where… flow and lighting is horrible on the end as it catches everything and it settles.. I ran halides on mine when I had it up.
Oh nice to hear some bad about them to be fair as it’s another reason I made the post as two people i know that have them rave about them but I thought lighting would be an issue because of the sheer depth of the drop off tanks let alone the depth iv gone for as well -_-

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice to hear some bad about them to be fair as it’s another reason I made the post as two people i know that have them rave about them but I thought lighting would be an issue because of the sheer depth of the drop off tanks let alone the depth iv gone for as well -_-
Mine was 175 gallons it dropped off to 36” deep… let me find it. Lol

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your drawing shows 90+90cm at the deep end? That’s almost 6 feet deep, probably not a good idea for cleaning purposes alone. What material and size are you thinking?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really cool, that’s a pretty amazing skill set to have, must come in handy with this hobby haha

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool, that’s a pretty amazing skill set to have, must come in handy with this hobby haha
Thank you! Yes it does! I can make anything to cure any problem I come across and trade pieces parts for corals and fish to fill my display!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back