Large tanks on second floor

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7C89917E-44F8-4FF1-B8E8-8D40C3495E29.png
I just picked up a 60” x 30” x 22” (171 gallons)planet aquariums eurobraced tank with 35” external beam animal overflow, 3 sided starfire glass, and pvc bottom. It’s sitting on a custom 2” steel tube stand with a beautiful cabinet carcass. The tank sits on top of a granite slab that sits atop the stand. The whole thing weighs quite a bit. Add in the rock and water and I would guess the whole thing will weigh around 2500 lbs.

My first big question is would that be too much weight on the first floor. My basement is finished and right below the tank is my sons bedroom and a catastrophic accident is not an option. Putting in floor braces is not an option.

The bonus I think is a metal I beam is almost directly under the middle of the tank. The floor joists run parallel to the tank if that matters.

What are your thoughts on it being safe to put my tank their.

How many have large tanks on a second floor without additional bracing under your tanks? Have you ever had issues? Would you do it again?

OP
OP
E

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52A5145F-B6C5-43C7-9321-F0BB561D86BC.jpeg
20A52172-6A2A-42F3-9A12-9E463F9E55BA.jpeg
AAC0EEF2-05D8-4684-A525-5C71598A728E.jpeg
20A52172-6A2A-42F3-9A12-9E463F9E55BA.jpeg

Here is a pic of the floor joists and I beam that would be right under the middle of the tank.

The other pics show the finished room and area where the tank will be. The blue lines are the joists and the yellow is the I beam.

OP
OP
E

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The joists are 10” with 15” spacing.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 gallon tank is on the main floor over an unfinished basement. I added structure to the area as the floor joists were parallel to the tank, like yours. You have a steel i-beam which is good. Mine was nowhere close. The unfinished and finished pictures show something I would be concerned about. The unfinished pictures show a column and the finished does not. I am assuming the column is still there but built now in a wall and the new picture is out of scale. I would for sure that is still there. I know of someone who actually had a column removed when they finished their basement and then put in structural replacements like a load bearing wall.

I think it would be worth the peace of mind to have an engineer look at things and give you a green light.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You generally want to be perpendicular to the joists, spreads the weight out to more joists. You're definitely going to exceed the design loading for living space with the tank, living space I believe is 30 or 40 psf. The further you get from the wall, the more impact the load will have on the timber.

Beams parallel like that mean you're going to introduce more moment into them then if you were perpendicular. Typically those bending stresses govern beam design. IMO, with sleeping quarters underneath it, I'd contact a local structural engineer. That steel beam could be the savior, but I think you may want to get the stresses looked at since you're running parallel and asking quite a bit of those joists.

OP
OP
E

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 gallon tank is on the main floor over an unfinished basement. I added structure to the area as the floor joists were parallel to the tank, like yours. You have a steel i-beam which is good. Mine was nowhere close. The unfinished and finished pictures show something I would be concerned about. The unfinished pictures show a column and the finished does not. I am assuming the column is still there but built now in a wall and the new picture is out of scale. I would for sure that is still there. I know of someone who actually had a column removed when they finished their basement and then put in structural replacements like a load bearing wall.

I think it would be worth the peace of mind to have an engineer look at things and give you a green light.

The column is built in the wall. There are actually two columns on that I beam that are built in the wall.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really encourage you to hire a local engineer.

Your dimensions and weight work out to 200psf (2500#/12.5 sqft). Living spaces are 30 or 40 psf. Short story, parallel to the joists:

200psf * 1.25' (tributary width) = 250lbs/ft along joist.
5' tank * 250lbs/ft = 1,250lb

That would give me reason to pause, that's significant weight.

You're adding significant weight out in the middle of the floor. If its enough of a worry that you're soliciting advice from an online forum, you should just be hiring an engineer. Consider it an insurance policy.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a situation like yours, but I’d hate to be the guy sleeping under that tank. Good luck, and I would hire a professional, especially seeing that you’re running parallel...

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the majority of opinions & responses you’ll receive here will be to have an engineer make the call. From one homeowner/hobbyist to another, with the pictures you’ve posted it looks as if you have several things working in your favor. Not only is the tank centered over the supporting beam you’re also what appears to be close to the perpendicular foundation wall & against the parallel one. I myself would be comfortable setting things up where you have it sitting. Congratulations on the acquisition. Nice looking tank!

Tumey

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fine. Put some 2x4’s from the floor to the ceiling, but leave a 1/4” clearance. Fill the tank. If the cieling moves more than the 1/4” I’d consult the engineer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back