Largest clams in private aquariums?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious who has the largest clams in their home aquariums? Also interested in seeing information about the largest aquarium clams, but I'm more interested in seeing who has had success in growing out clams to the sizes quoted in maximum size recommendations.

#MileHighReefers on YouTube has a giant clam in his display. I don't follow his channel, so I don't know exactly how large it is, but it's quite impressive.

upload_2017-10-30_17-58-52.png

In the coming year or two I am planning a house build with a giant in-wall or peninsula style tank in which i'd like to incorporate one or two of the larger clams.

Pictures are always better than text!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I lost my first clam recently [LiveAquaria] to what had to have been pyramid snails. I haven't extensively searched for them on my other snails, but I am hoping to leave the tank clamless and hope they'll die off. Going to go local and find a larger clam for my next one, the one I got from LA was only ~2.25 inches.

When I do my in-wall/peninsula in a couple of years i'm going to be looking for a 10"+ clam to add to it as a centerpiece

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen any clams available at my LFS's unfortunately!
Most likely have to order one. They don't ship well and the mortality rate is high so a lot of stores won't carry them near us as well. My suggestion would be to find one that's around 3-4". Small clams and really large clams don't do very well unfortunately.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a empty clam shell on the floor that nearly 2 foots long, i think someone wanted the shell for decoration...
Only 2 LFS selling clams around my area, 1 LFS selling only wild caught clams size range from 3~6 inches and the other selling captive/farm raise clam size from 2~4 inches, I think the clams that came from a farm have awesome color and more variation but a bit more expensive but they are mostly free of parasites.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a empty clam shell on the floor that nearly 2 foots long, i think someone wanted the shell for decoration...
Only 2 LFS selling clams around my area, 1 LFS selling only wild caught clams size range from 3~6 inches and the other selling captive/farm raise clam size from 2~4 inches, I think the clams that came from a farm have awesome color and more variation but a bit more expensive but they are mostly free of parasites.

What kind of prices are you seeing at your LFS? The clam I got from LA was ~$45, they were all out of stock of the other types, except for the $199 super colored ones

After my LA loss, I went and read the thread on combating pyramid snails on top of this sub-forum and once I find the right clam at the right price, i'm gonna jump on it again and go through the precautions from that thread!

Still looking for pictures of large clams in people's homes, even with a little story about it!

There's got to be more people with large clams out there. Everyone warns of the size these clams can get, is it just speculation or is it really happening!? I hope we can find some 2-3-4' clams in home aquariums! [I know that most home aquariums aren't of a size to handle a 3-4' clam, but we have an entire sub-forum full of threads of 180+ gallon tanks, and some of them are massive!]

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of prices are you seeing at your LFS? The clam I got from LA was ~$45, they were all out of stock of the other types, except for the $199 super colored ones

After my LA loss, I went and read the thread on combating pyramid snails on top of this sub-forum and once I find the right clam at the right price, i'm gonna jump on it again and go through the precautions from that thread!

Still looking for pictures of large clams in people's homes, even with a little story about it!

There's got to be more people with large clams out there. Everyone warns of the size these clams can get, is it just speculation or is it really happening!? I hope we can find some 2-3-4' clams in home aquariums! [I know that most home aquariums aren't of a size to handle a 3-4' clam, but we have an entire sub-forum full of threads of 180+ gallon tanks, and some of them are massive!]
*Wild caught Maxima 3~6 inches selling from $95~$125 (price can be cheaper if you talk/deal with the store owner)
*Farm Derasa/Maxima clams from 2~4 inches:
**Derasa selling $38 (2~2.5 inches)
**Maxima gold price at $39 (I bought all the gold available last time and new shipment didn't have any gold maxima) and Ultra Color Maxima price $89 (size 2~2.5 inches)
**Larger Maxima color look much better than wild caught clam compare to other LFS (4 inches) price $99
The issue with online order is overnight shipping, depend on your area sometime the shipping cost as much as your clam price if not more expensive.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen any clams available at my LFS's unfortunately!

Before all the restrictions of Vietnam clams it wasn't that uncommon to see 300-500 clam shipments at LFS for me. I recall seeing a vat full of the spawn one time too. They probably could have sold the water as coral food. Sadly those days are over.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Wild caught Maxima 3~6 inches selling from $95~$125 (price can be cheaper if you talk/deal with the store owner)
*Farm Derasa/Maxima clams from 2~4 inches:
**Derasa selling $38 (2~2.5 inches)
**Maxima gold price at $39 (I bought all the gold available last time and new shipment didn't have any gold maxima) and Ultra Color Maxima price $89 (size 2~2.5 inches)
**Larger Maxima color look much better than wild caught clam compare to other LFS (4 inches) price $99
The issue with online order is overnight shipping, depend on your area sometime the shipping cost as much as your clam price if not more expensive.

Those prices are great from what i've been able to find, even online! Are you in California by chance? Seems all of the affordable and easily accessible things are either in California or Florida... Definitely not in Michigan =(

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those prices are great from what i've been able to find, even online! Are you in California by chance? Seems all of the affordable and easily accessible things are either in California or Florida... Definitely not in Michigan =(
Yep, I'm in California :)

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the coming year or two I am planning a house build with a giant in-wall or peninsula style tank in which i'd like to incorporate one or two of the larger clams.

Pictures are always better than text!

I am a fan of using giant clams as center pieces for our reefs, and a peninsula style tank with a showpiece clam would be a sight to see. They make the perfect colorful accent to a large reef. But I have learned that they present a unique challenge when they reach a certain size in proportion to the rest of the aquarium contents like live, rock, corals, and fish. I've found this out the hard way after growing my 30" Gigas for almost 10 years. When a clam or anything for that matter becomes the largest living structure in a reef, it will create its own little reef within a reef, and what makes clams very unique is that they have the ability to directly feed the inhabitants that seek shelter in the contours of the mantle and shell. Everyday at least twice a day the clam belches a smorgasbord of food that the fish love to devour. So with time they will associate the clam with food and eventually they will take a bite. I can't tell how may fish I've gone through over the years that all started off as "clam safe" only to turn the clam into an 100+lb buffet. Then comes the filtration capacities of these monsters when it comes to their consumption of N and Ps. It is very hard to quantify but I can tell you it is significant. When the clam is "ON" it can filter a 500+ gallon system. Finally the calcium and alk demand is incredible. I use 3 cups of BRS CACL and 3 cups of baking soda every week. I think these are just a few things that make owning a large clam uniquely challenging, and why I think many people get rid of large clams once they get to a certain size. When my Gigas dies I don't see myself getting another, even if it was given to me. In my opinion it really limits your options when it comes to fish and corals. Also what do you if a 100+lb clam dies in your tank? Or spawns? Which it does every summer.
P1170590.JPG

I was able to resolve some of my issues by using 3 tanks instead of one large "clam tank". 2- 36"x30"x25 and the clam tank is 60"x30"x31".
P1170660.JPG

P1170587.JPG

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back