Lasses Dream Build

HA! Looks good!
 
The colour development of my two new Cycloseris has been incredible. Just look below

fungia-2.jpg


fungia-3.jpg

​
The micro habitat of my aquarium develops slowly. Small animals shows up here and there. Like this little sponge. There is many filtrating animals and thats one of my goals - because it means that there is food that also the corals can use

sponge.jpg

​
I have some crabs - this is one - just lurking below a new coaral

crab.jpg

​
I have also some small zooas

zoas.jpg

​
Sincerely Lasse
 
When you have some sea food, try to place a large piece of shrimp on top of the fungia. They are like camels... eat all they can.
Mine as stayed a week with more than 4 fingers hight. I'll search for a photo a post it because it's amazing.
 
I´ll done that before in my old aquarium and will do it again next time I eat shrimps.

Sincerely Lasse
 
I will follow along. I am interested in how you set up your DSB. I am debating adding one to my display refugium I am building. Time for me to start reading and catch up w/ everybody else.

At post 10 in this threads first page you will find a description of my DSB

Sincerely Lasse
 
Last edited:
Update

Yesterday I did the first water change since start – 80 l -> 20 %

I also measure nitrate and got an idea which phosphate level I have. The NO3 was between 50 and 100 and – yes – there is some phosphate :)

The macro algae grows well and I did put in some nitrate during this three months since start. Its clearly that I have some uptake/break down of nitrate because the amount I have put in should has shown values around 200 – 300 ppm.

Some of my SPS does not going very well but the LPS and the mushrooms grows very well and shows good colours.

The nutrient should be lowered and I start with some phosphate remover from Triton today. I also start injection of organic carbon in the DSB. I use a witches brew consisting of ethanol, vinegar and sugar. The redox below the DSB is today -24 mV and I run around 12 l/day through it. 4 ml of the witches brew/day. I also pump down most of the skimmers production.



Some pictures

New coral

ny.jpg

​
Shrimp

räka.jpg

Good colours

gobie.jpg

favia.jpg

Strange - rather good coloured SPS at the growing aera

colour.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
 
A week ago - I check the phosphate level with a Hanna Checker HI 713 , the result was around 0.2 ppm. I started the phosphate remover reactor with media from Triton and already after some days – the level was low – much lower. Yesterday evening – just before the main light turned off – the measured level was between 0.03 and 0 (two tests). This morning – before the main light turns on but with the refugium light on – the concentration I read was 0. From now I change my running of the reactor. It will only run during the day (09:00 to 21:00) and I hope that the phosphate produced by the bacteria (and from the food – I feed around 19:00 – 20:00 every evening) during the night will be used by the macro algae.

The nitrate level is still not exactly known – but its not zero. I tested my way of testing it with known levels of nitrate (in saltwater) and I´m sure that the test does not work as it should in my saltwater. Not any surprise because I know how difficult it is to get right readings from nitrate tests in saltwater. I will try to test it with another method later on.

The change of the phosphate level was a little bit too fast. Some of my SPS does not going well but others survive. My goal is to have a phosphate level between 0.04 – 0.1 – read with this Checker. I know also that zero readings do not necessary means that its 0 with this checker.

I will also send in a Triton test today

Sincerely Lasse
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new