Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest test from Triton

No surprises

Si levels are high but have decrease with nearly 50 % since last measurement. Phosphorus is where I want it to be

Sincerely Lasse

Attachments

• 170920 triton test.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pictures

euphyllia.jpg

blue.jpg

look.jpg

ricordea.jpg

starpolyps.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing Lasse.
Whenever I look at your tank pics I always travel to the fiordes and artic waters.
I really don't understand why but I suppose it's because I know where you are and the water pristiness that sometimes it seems to not exist in your tank.
Please keep your hands out of the tank!! :)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank you @Alfrareef

It is around 9 months since the last water change but the water is still very clear and transparent. My front and side glasses are of low iron type – that a part of the of the reason why my water seems so clear. The other reason (and probably the most important) is that I use an oxidator. It slowly pass some hydrogen peroxide out in the water and this compound will oxidize the yellowing organic substances (like humus and humic acids) that’s are a part of the biological breakdown process. Active carbon and ozone are other known methods/substan you can use in order to achieve the same goal - a super clear water. But I have a lot of small organic particles (and bacteria film) in the water in order to give my filtrating animals some food but I try to fight the colouring substances thas are a part of the organic breakdown process.

Sincerely Lasse

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some day I'll look at a oxidator..
I know all that. My tank has 3 extra clear (starphire or something) and I use ozone, but the fact his that your tank water doesn't exist and I love it!!! And I must say Congrats!!!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some day I'll look at a oxidator..
I know all that. My tank has 3 extra clear (starphire or something) and I use ozone, but the fact his that your tank water doesn't exist and I love it!!! And I must say Congrats!!!
I'm with @Lasse on this one, I wouldn't run a tank without an oxydator now. ;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I found it better and more safe compared with Ozon. Activated carbon - it have never worked out for me. One plus is that you can use it as an oxygen source during power cuts.

Sincerely Lasse

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @Lasse on this one, I wouldn't run a tank without an oxydator now.

From reading the forums it seems like European reefers are more familiar with Oxydators, I don't think I know anyone personally in the US that is using one, and I don't think I've ever seen them for sale here - maybe that needs to change. I've seen people who dose hydrogen peroxide as a treatment for dinoflagellates (supposedly kills them in their free-floating stage) but I don't think many people are using it in low doses on an ongoing basis.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I found it better and more safe compared with Ozon. Activated carbon - it have never worked out for me. One plus is that you can use it as an oxygen source during power cuts.

Sincerely Lasse
How comparable is using an oxydator to activated carbon. I'd never heard of an oxydator until recently.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used oxidators in tanks I didn’t have a dosing pump on they have been used for years in the Aqurium hobby. Many hobbyist do not know of them because they are simple and low tech. Sadly most US hobbyist do not learn the old tricks as they think there is some high tech high cost way of doing something simple.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes – its a rather low tech construction but in the same way a totally genius combination of different physical principles. The ground construction is a acryl bottler with a little (very little) hole in the bottles cap. You fill it up with hydrogen peroxide (mostly 6 % but up to 12 % can work). You put in some catalysts (the number will decide the dosing rate). The catalysts is done of a clay probably containing some trace elements of some metals. You cap the bottle and put it upside down in a clay pot. (One type – there is some other constructions also) To have the bottle to stay down in the pot (it will be filled with oxygen gas during the process) you put a counterweight over it. Put the whole construction were you want it – I have mine in the return compartment of my sump.

The function is as follows. Inside the bottle – the catalysts will breakdown the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to water and free oxygen radicals (o-). These will form oxygen gas that will expand the volume in the bottle. This will create an excess pressure that slowly press pure hydrogen peroxide through the tiny hole and up along the clay walls (also here the clay will serve as a catalyst). The free oxygen radicals (released from the peroxide (when it pass the clay walls) will react with the nearest molecule it meet. If it is another free oxygen radical – it will form oxygen gas – if it is an organic molecule – it will oxidize it.

The oxydator will attack yellowing organic substances in a chemical way – as ozone will do. Active carbon will absorb the same substances. I know that the oxydator take care of yellowing substances (I can see it clearly :)) – If it works against toxic organic molecules as active carbon is believed to do - I do not know but I think it will at least do the same as ozone

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use a drawing and some pics to better understand the oxydator construction...

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
Back