Last light Question on a 40 breeder

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to go Hybrid T5/led..
for a 40 breeder, do you go 24” or 36”? 4 or 6 bulbs? led’s first or T5 first? How long can you run that fixture without LED’s? My goal is an LPS/softies tank, and if I wanted to do SPS I will have a few spots in the middle of the tank for that.
I think I am over complicating it.. I have tendency to do that..

Thanks in advance!!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 bulb T5 might be all that you ever need on a 40b. 4 is probably fine with some Kessils. I would get 36 inch, but I had a fixture that was too short for the tank and I hated it and added to it... so I will never have a short light again.

For SPS, you will likely need a pair of Kessils - these are not high powered units.

I would let the T5s do the heavy lifting and use the kessils to fill in some blue (if you like that look) and some shimmer (if you like it - some hate the Kessil shimmer).

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think my LPS would be ok with just the 4 bulb hybrid fixture for now?

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a kessil and t5 option if you can afford it. I’ve seen it in person and it was just glorious. That being said I’ve also seen dual led’s on a 40 breeder and it looked great too.

if this were me and I were doing SPS I would do the combo hands down. If it’s for LPS and softies, I might look at just using led’s. That’s just me though. Keep in mind I dont habe a reef tank

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had great success with 2 hydra 26 non hd over my 40B. (Photo)
Now i have 2x 52s and one 26 lined up in a 36" spread over it now with the intensity turned way down and the lenses diffused.

Youd be surprised on how a little quality light goes a long way.

20190927_183420.jpg

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. I also talked to my LFS.. He is ordering me AI primes.. always suggested I could incorporate the T5’s if I wasn’t happy.. So that’s we are doing..
The more I researched it, the more I wanted the 32’s, but let’s see what happens..

Thanks guys!!

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 400 for primes, then 400 for hybrid with bulbs later.. so to me.. it’s which comes first the chicken or egg at this point

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i see. U decided to do 2 primes alone. That might work you just might not like the light spread from 2 single pucks and may not get good par at the depth you want with the wide spread.

Even with the 2x 26s the spread wasnt the most ideal for a 36x18x18.

But yes. Would be fine until you buy your hybrid down the road.

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i see. U decided to do 2 primes alone. That might work you just might not like the light spread from 2 single pucks and may not get good par at the depth you want with the wide spread.

Even with the 2x 26s the spread wasnt the most ideal for a 36x18x18.

But yes. Would be fine until you buy your hybrid down the road.

I really wanted the 32’s my LFS is taking me this way, we will see.. always can upgrade and sell the primes on here.. I am a little disappointed we didn’t do the T5’s with a led in a couple of months.. but my LFS knows my tank..

Back