Latin name of corals

agorkov

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused about the names of corals. Please help me figure it out.

The first question concerns the briareum and clavularia. How to distinguish them and who is who?
115E9701B423ED77D3D0CBB964FDB45E412A8D88BD06EE14C036D6710E2E766B3D59E0A5F8A6189906C4F47E849A9...jpeg
DDA4B6E0E5C224FA9ADC6168616F1AB1F79BDF4A4982704D66566CB7BFF5B4EBD4F2BE931EF1622FA305CF1AE0972...jpeg

The second question relates to the clavularia. Do I understand correctly that both of these corals belong to the genus Clavularia? If so, what are their speices called?
25234973C5687BB75CEC2C51464A49AA33513046C7173D439A15441F83911F0DF0FF7AF8161B827E214B634CDDC82...jpeg
7F32DB0FBA2694D1FD17C6B55A0DEE8E2D92BE43809EA80E37FC4B09DDA39753E8883A8C37E33CA0205CD74001048...jpeg
 
I wish you luck in resolving you confusion with coral names and identification! ;)

For identifying the Briarium or Clavularia species of GSP I have to use just the difference in polyp tenitcles but I'm also sure I've made some misidentifactions over the years as I've seen colonies from what I know is the same clone line look different in different systems.

For the 2nd pair, "probably", a lot of the clove polyps may not be described yet.
 
I'm a little confused about the names of corals. Please help me figure it out.

The first question concerns the briareum and clavularia. How to distinguish them and who is who?
115E9701B423ED77D3D0CBB964FDB45E412A8D88BD06EE14C036D6710E2E766B3D59E0A5F8A6189906C4F47E849A9...jpeg
DDA4B6E0E5C224FA9ADC6168616F1AB1F79BDF4A4982704D66566CB7BFF5B4EBD4F2BE931EF1622FA305CF1AE0972...jpeg

The second question relates to the clavularia. Do I understand correctly that both of these corals belong to the genus Clavularia? If so, what are their speices called?
25234973C5687BB75CEC2C51464A49AA33513046C7173D439A15441F83911F0DF0FF7AF8161B827E214B634CDDC82...jpeg
7F32DB0FBA2694D1FD17C6B55A0DEE8E2D92BE43809EA80E37FC4B09DDA39753E8883A8C37E33CA0205CD74001048...jpeg
1. The first picture is Briareum violaceum; the second one might be B. hamrum, but I'm not sure.
2. The latter image is of Clavularia viridis; the former probably not Clavularia is either some other clavulariid or an acrossotid, maybe Phenengax.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new