Lava-Bright Orange SPS ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter AtlantiCat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AtlantiCat

41% Salt, 59% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2022
Messages
480
Reaction score
499
Location
Northern Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody guess what this might be?

I was given the name "Jason Fox Starlight Caprista," (I even asked for the spelling), but I can't find any coral called "Caprista" and nothing on Jason Fox's website matches. Outer Space Psammacora comes closest.

The skeletal structure reminds me of a Petoskey stone and the color is a lava-bright orange against a dark purplish background. The orange is lava-bright under both daylight and actinic, and a large colony would easily catch your eye across the room. The skeleton appears to be extraordinarily THIN--it almost looks like it was painted on the plug, or alternately that it has eaten into the plug.

Is this possibly a Cyphastrea? I have one other Cyphastrea and the skeletal structure does not look the same to my semi-trained eye (I'm much better with plant leaves). Doesn't look like the Psammacoras I've seen either. Any ideas?

TL;DR: It doesn't match any of the common encrusting SPS I'm familiar with; what is it?

IMG_20240505_180813.jpg
 
Wrong color. My lousy cellphone image doesn't show the color correctly, but the polyps are ORANGE, like it says in the subject.
 
Do you have a clearer photo? Corallite structure looks to be thamnasteroid, so something like Leptoseris, Pavona, Lithophyllon, Cycloseris (wellsi/explanulata), etc.
 
Can anybody guess what this might be?

I was given the name "Jason Fox Starlight Caprista," (I even asked for the spelling), but I can't find any coral called "Caprista" and nothing on Jason Fox's website matches. Outer Space Psammacora comes closest.

The skeletal structure reminds me of a Petoskey stone and the color is a lava-bright orange against a dark purplish background. The orange is lava-bright under both daylight and actinic, and a large colony would easily catch your eye across the room. The skeleton appears to be extraordinarily THIN--it almost looks like it was painted on the plug, or alternately that it has eaten into the plug.

Is this possibly a Cyphastrea? I have one other Cyphastrea and the skeletal structure does not look the same to my semi-trained eye (I'm much better with plant leaves). Doesn't look like the Psammacoras I've seen either. Any ideas?

TL;DR: It doesn't match any of the common encrusting SPS I'm familiar with; what is it?

IMG_20240505_180813.jpg
+1 to thinking it is a leptoseris
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new