Lawnmower Blenny losing weight

  • Thread starter Thread starter Carmen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Carmen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
152
Reaction score
11
Location
Tri-Cities, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15-month-old reef tank, 75 gallons. I've had my Lawnmower blenny almost since the beginning. Except for the last 6 months, he was always healthy and looked well fed. Then I purchased a two-spot bristle-tooth tang who as it turned out, always bullied the blenny to the point that he no longer left his cave. Even though I put food next to him so he didn't have to come out he began to lose weight. Because I liked the blenny more than the tang, I decided to rehome the tang.

But he continues to lose weight, even though he's out all the time and can swim anywhere he wants and graze without being hassled. I can see his spine through his skin now. He seems happy, but at this rate he won't last much longer.

What can I do for this guy? Everybody else is in good health and a good weight. I've never had issues with fish health. I feed once a day. Is something internal making this happen?
 
The above suggestions are good, but also keep an eye out for stringy white poop. Coming from any of your fish. This would be a sign of intestinal parasites and would explain the sudden weight loss.
 
He could have a parasitic worm. I had a few fish doing thus and started feeding them this 3x a week for 2 months. Along with variety of other frozen and nls pellets. They have all fattened back up now.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1419785639346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419785639346.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 245

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new