Laws on Shipping Corals???

cntryboi407

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
510
Reaction score
1
Location
Orlando, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there rules/regulations/laws/etc. on shipping corals? I understand that there are rules against harvesting/transporting protected species but what about in general? Any of the big sellers here have anything on this?
 
I do think there is as long is it in the US and not shipping outside the US. I do know that alot of the shipping companys wont cover and some say they wont ship animals this includes fish
 
You are ok in the US. Due to shipping liquid, some shippers might open the box to see the contents to make sure they won't leak. However, I go in frequently so they know who I am and what I am shipping.
 
if it is, it would be because of its natural habitat. Its not because they dont want stuff going there, its just that things like live coral in a place where it could be released in the wild, and throw the whole natural balance off.

I.e. a coral with no local predators would (could) take out native species.
 
if it is, it would be because of its natural habitat. Its not because they dont want stuff going there, its just that things like live coral in a place where it could be released in the wild, and throw the whole natural balance off.

I.e. a coral with no local predators would (could) take out native species.

That's exactly why. It sucks for responsible reef keepers who woudn't throw non-native species into the water. You can ship about any type of fish there. One of the most destructive things in the reef right now in hawaii is a brown non native seaweed, that was believed to have been brought in by ships in ballast water, not the salt water aquarium trade.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new