Leaching silicates

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty established tank 7-8 months. I’m worried about silicates leaching out of a piece of rock I broke off from a larger one that I’m gonna use for a jawbreaker here is the piece of rock do you think I should worry about anything leaching out of it.
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a pretty established tank 7-8 months. I’m worried about silicates leaching out of a piece of rock I broke off from a larger one that I’m gonna use for a jawbreaker here is the piece of rock do you think I should worry about anything leaching out of it.
image.jpg
If any , will be minimal
You will see pineapple doing or diatoms if there is anything significant

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much harm it's going to cause by leaving it there but, if it's not too much trouble, try removing some of those rock pieces into a bucket with some of the tank water and run a powerhead for a few days.

I once asked a seller to cut the rock into a smaller rock before shipping out my shroom. He sized down the rock with his bandsaw, he did a good job. But when I got the overnight, the shroom was completely melted while another shroom in a separate bag did just fine. He thinks that the freshly cut rock released some sort of toxins in the water when packed. He said he should have kept it for a few days before shipping. I think there is some truth behind what he said. It was a semi-large Magic Carpet shroom he had for about 3 years. Those things are hardy, they don't just melt completely overnight. Just wanted to share this story in case in helps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back