Lead-free faucet & water change station questions

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my hubby who is doing the saltwater mixing station has a question. He hooked up copper tubing to the water heater to a faucet to hook up the RODI unit. What we had originally for a faucet had lead in it, so he bought another--one for human drinking water as code in our area now says you have to use lead free. His question is with fish, would it have mattered if the faucet had lead in it. It doesn't now but he is curious.

Second question, the plumbing he has so far allows him to put an outlet between the containers (a 4 way instead of 3 way fitting--see pic). His thought is that after mixing saltwater I might want to drain any water in the pipes to keep saltwater from going into the RO container. I suspect there is not enough saltwater in the lines to worry about if a bit gets mixed in (I'm not drinking it). Is this a concern? Is it a good idea to have an outlet drain there? Or is it not needed and he just can use a T
20210810_190624.jpg
20210810_190617.jpg

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't want metal to come into contact with water after the rodi filter.

They make PVC faucets for the purpose

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before the RODI it makes no difference whatsoever. Once it leaves the RODI, plastic is your friend. As for the small amount of water in the crossover - I never would have never given it a thought. Justy one more potential leak point IMO.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before the RODI it makes no difference whatsoever. Once it leaves the RODI, plastic is your friend. As for the small amount of water in the crossover - I never would have never given it a thought. Justy one more potential leak point IMO.
So do you mean you wouldn't worry about a drain there? I don't think it is a big deal and never thought about that either lol's. Hubby does think things through!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you mean you wouldn't worry about a drain there? I don't think it is a big deal and never thought about that either lol's. Hubby does think things through!
Correct. I really don't see the need for a drain at that point. It just increases the cost/complexity of the plumbing while adding a potential leak point - if it gets bumped, or is not closed all the way you will drain both containers.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. I really don't see the need for a drain at that point. It just increases the cost/complexity of the plumbing while adding a potential leak point - if it gets bumped, or is not closed all the way you will drain both containers.
thanks. Hubby went ahead and put one there lol's. he's going to brace the plumbing with a 2x4 and also the pipe going up to mix the saltwater. Both containers are strapped to the wall for earthquakes--this is california!!! So that station is going to be invincible lol's

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back