Leaellynasaura's 135g reef/fish tank thread

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I finally got my tank into my house!

qMZ25df.jpg

I sure am glad I have been weight lifting for 2 years because 2 manning this down the hallway is not easy!

It is Oceanic brand.

gt9MGwm.jpg

My dad kept African Cichlids in this 8 years or so ago.

I did not know it before, but my dad also had an extra refugeum for me :)

lp7sak8.jpg

I plan to use it later on to add a deep sand bed / copepod sanctuary.

I have started working on my algae scrubber. I also could not help but getting a Blue Tang and Octopus before I even had water in the tank!

cPe5r4P.jpg

Here you can see the insertion slot for one of the two plastic grids for the algae to grow on:

I have ordered a 800 GPH hang on back overflow box and a 1262 model Eheim pump to get the water back in the tank. I am going to use some kind of large rubber made type tub for the sump to contain the algae scrubber. It will also house the heater.

ZCUofqS.jpg

I am working on properly roughing up the grid to better allow the algae to adhere.

I currently need advice on how to best clean this tank that has been in storage for almost 8 years!

ejkAxza.jpg

I am thinking I will use my shop vac to try and get the gravel and dirt out and then maybe vinegar/water and a sponge to try and clean the glass? Do you guys have any advice on how to clean this?

ehsheridan110

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill it with vinegar and water and then toss a pump in there to circulate the water (optional). It's up to you whether you want to siphon out the gravel once you have some water in there or if you want to shop vac it out. Good luck!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats!

ehsheridan110

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as in fill the entire tank? How many gallons of vinegar would you suggest to mix with the water?

Yep fill the entire tank. I did 1:10, one part vinegar for every 10 parts water. It will loosen up any stubborn gunk and then you can easily wipe it off. Just ensure that you rinse it out thoroughly with fresh water before you start your tank. You definitely don't want vinegar in your tank. I would rinse it out and then let it dry completely so the vinegar evaporates out.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as in fill the entire tank? How many gallons of vinegar would you suggest to mix with the water?

More importantly, you want to leak test the tank to make sure that the silcone is still sealing the glass after being dry for eight years. After leak testing, I would shop vac out all the big stuff (or use a dustpan - they work well as a mini-shovel) and then use vinegar on a rag to wipe down everything. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then go at coralline and salt residue with a metal bladed scraper or razor blade and wipe down with vinegar as you go. There shouldnt be much you need to soak if its been dry that long. Just lots of elbow grease :)

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some cleaning today.

First I used a shop vac to get the big stuff out of the bottom.

After the shop vac:

4EoNRet.jpg

Then my dad and I used 1 part vinegar 1 part water to clean the inside out pretty good. After that we used fresh water and a siphon to remove the vinegar and dirt.

d8Pqqx4.jpg

70pZ1OU.jpg

My return pump came in:

qGVDKLi.jpg

It can be used inline:

mRMiHFG.jpg

I am going to use it inside the sump:

fYgjrOB.jpg

There is a nice foam pre-filter inside that light grey section. When I was researching this pump I realized the 1260/1262 models differed possibly only by the impeller itself. The pump housing is identical so one could buy a 1260 and later upgrade to 1262 by swapping out the impeller supposedly. Before I bought this I suspected it was just rumor, but it shipped in a 1260 box (2400/3000) and had a sticker on the box and pump for the 1262 model. This further confirms the rumor.

Next steps:
  • Decide if tank needs leveled. Front to back it is level. Side to side there is about 1/4 inch difference across the entire length. What are your thoughts on that?
  • Replace electrical outlet behind tank with GFI before it gets too heavy
  • Finish algae scrubber
  • Obtain aragonite sand and order dry rock.
  • Plumb the alage scrubber/return pump/overflow box when certain xmas goodies arrive

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank cleaned up nice. I'm wondering if that return pump is big, if that's what it is. Anyways it's going to be nice!!

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank cleaned up nice. I'm wondering if that return pump is big, if that's what it is. Anyways it's going to be nice!!

I am basing my pump selection on this chart:

6s5H5OR.gif

It should be about a 5 ft head so around 600 or so gph return. My overflow will be 800 gph. I am hoping they match well.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500gph pump on a forty and is just big enough. If you add anything to your system like uv ar reactors, I just don't think it will work. Even by itself I don't think it's big enough, but that's just me.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool build! Following!

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday and today my step dad helped me work on the shelf for my basement sump and we hung up the RO/DI system, but have not yet plumbed it. The next project is to build the shelf for my Refugeum and my external return pump. I sent the Eheim pump back and ordered a more powerful external pump made by Pan World in order to accommodate the increased head pressure going up a floor.

Here is the basement sump platform support system being built:

06PTjfG.jpg

DineXKl.jpg

Here is the platform being placed onto the supports:

giqogO9.jpg

Here you can see that I also have some extra beams going up to help support the weight of the tank itself:

hgNefPN.jpg

Sump on platform:

5BHjRIT.jpg

RODI System (Not hooked up yet)

woN5Es3.jpg

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned up the refugium today. I may replace the gasket even though it seemed in pretty good shape.

0rrLbBE.jpg

7jcf7Rs.jpg

I also finally finished my work on the algae scrubber grids.

tL5xMMT.jpg

I have some concern that the two slots I have cut will not be able to process the 325 gph each I want so I have to test it when the system is plumbed. The easiest fix would be to remove the three tabs I put on the grid. Their only function is to help hold them in place. If that is not enough I will widen the slots themselves.

3JJIMid.jpg

1Fuha1l.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is shaping up very nicely! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a leak test this weekend and maybe some more work on the basement sump.

Any tips for the leak test? I am watching the seams and trying to look through the bottom at the top of the stand. How long would it take to know if it was leaking? 24 hours?

OTgL9rm.jpg

4DSIEFI.jpg

pVG4JEE.jpg

IMhV7S4.jpg

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. A strong recommendation to you is to drill your tank before setting it up and forego the overflow box. Will make life much better. Less chance of a problem and less maintenance. I have a overflow box on mine and switching to a drilled tank soon. Bean Animal overflow would be a good choice.

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report there were no leaks over night. :D

I am aware of the vast benefits of a drilled system, but I am going to move forward with the overflow for now. I feel I can minimize my risks by using the aqua lifter and a safety float switch return pump cut off.

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I finished the wood working with my step dad and bought 90% of the remaining plumbing supplies for the filtration and RO/DI system.

Here is the pump stand:

hlCNBQ9.jpg

Here is the refugium on its stand:

SY7ZOZC.jpg

Here is the whole basement setup minus the plumbing and algae scrubber:

yooQYrX.jpg

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some rethinking on my plumbing plans. Instead of being gravity fed the algae scrubber will now run on its own small submersible pump. This will allow the tank and refugium to drain into a filter sock. Also, even though my tank passed the leak test, it is fairly old and the silicone seams don't look so great on close inspection. I have decided to be redo the silicone after watching a video of it being done. Wish me luck!

IMG_0313.JPG

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started working on resealing the tank today. The corners were in worse condition then the bottom which looked pretty good. I did not mess with the top.

Old corner silicone:

SeKQuuH.jpg

toQOHZc.jpg

After removing old silicone:

shoHyym.jpg

Masking Tape:

yh8ESby.jpg

9xuBic6.jpg

I did not have time to apply the new silicone today.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back