Leaking bulkhead

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Plasto Joint Stik for PVC threads for several years now. Doesn’t harden and potable water safe.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great spot to work lol. Had to remove the emergency to access it. Got the bulkhead cranked down half a turn past finger tight, but when I put the wrench on the PVC fitting, the bulkhead loosens.
Might have different threads inside of bulkhead fitting, metric? Nontaper?

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using pvc threads I always run some silicone along the threads before tightening it. It seals up well and can still be removed should you need to.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have different threads inside of bulkhead fitting, metric? Nontaper?
Threads are definitely compatible. I have identical drops on both sides, left one sealed up first try.

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is dry I would use aquarium silicone as others have stated. Just make sure you let it dry. Follow directions on silicone package. Good luck

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't take that much effort to get a threaded PVC junction to not leak. Some tape, or some pipe dope, or some silicone should work fine. Maybe there's something wrong with the bulkhead or the male adapter. Can you replace both/either?

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Teflon tape should never be used with pvc threads.....You'll potentially crack the bulkhead.

To use your terms, you need to use pipe dope that is specifically made for pvc threaded pipe.
I have used teflon tape on threaded aquarium plumbing and bulkheads for 13 years. I’d be much more worried about the chemicals in pipe dope than cracking a bulkhead.

Op- this shouldn’t be too difficult to install without leaks. First ensure you dont have a cracked bulkhead from going crazy with the tape. It doesn’t look like you have much on there. I usually do 15-20 wraps with the cheap $1 rolls. Install the bulkhead and thread the nut most the way on. Grip the sides of the bulkhead gently with a large wrench and hand twist your threaded fitting in. Then hand tighten your bulkhead nut and give it an additional 1/2-3/4 turn with a wrench.

And NEVER EVER EVER use silicon in the threads as a bandaid fix for a leak. I just spent three hours to remove two bulkheads some dummy slathered in silicon

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plasto Joint Stik is the correct product for threaded pvc. Second is silicone, last is Teflon tape. I too have used Teflon tape for years, but if you talk to the fittings manufacturer, they'll tell you not to use Teflon tape for two reasons. First it makes threads slip, so you will bottom out the fitting. Second after taking some Teflon (ptfe) tape off I realized that it actually will push apart weak threaded fittings making it worse if you have enough on there. So pick up a stick of
Plasto Joint Stik or use silicone as a bandaid.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plasto Joint Stik is the correct product for threaded pvc. Second is silicone, last is Teflon tape. I too have used Teflon tape for years, but if you talk to the fittings manufacturer, they'll tell you not to use Teflon tape for two reasons. First it makes threads slip, so you will bottom out the fitting. Second after taking some Teflon (ptfe) tape off I realized that it actually will push apart weak threaded fittings making it worse if you have enough on there. So pick up a stick of
Will refer back to this should the leak redevelop, thank you!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said. :)

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered that, I call it "pipe dope". But I remember reading somewhere that it's not good for plastic fittings [emoji848]

I saw a thread where someone was using Rectorseal T5, which specifically says on the tube/can not to use it for ABS. Use T+2 for ABS. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem - the taper inside the bulkhead just doesn't seem the same as the male NPT pipe fitting. If you put it in dry it'll bottom out without any strain at all. I made up for it with lots of teflon tape and that did the trick, but Rector Seal T+2 could work too - slathered on thick. I've read good things about the Plasto Joint Stik but I don't know if it'll work in this case.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you said the bulkhead on the other side with exact same connection has no leak, then I think best to just get a new bulkhead instead of band-aid fixing the leak.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I took the plunge— I used a large tube of aquarium safe silicone with a silicone gun to lay a nice bead on the glass between the washer and glass, the plastic flange and the washer, the nut and the glass, the threads— everywhere. Just go a very slowly when hand tightening (at first) the nut so the silicone doesn’t gush out; then a final 1/4 turn with the wrench. Let it dry/Cure a good 24 hours. I have never regretted using the silicone. Best wishes!

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the difference is between this and Rectorseal T+2? Have you used both, so as to compare performance between the two?

Sorry, I have not used Rectorseal for comparison. After using Plasto Joint Stik and being so satisfied with—I have not experimented with anything else. I will definitely never use Teflon tape again on threaded plastic fittings.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have not used Rectorseal for comparison. After using Plasto Joint Stik and being so satisfied with—I have not experimented with anything else. I will definitely never use Teflon tape again on threaded plastic fittings.

Having now used the Plasto-Joint Stik, MAJOR +1

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back