Leaking plumbing

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just filled up my tank and all was well until I noticed one small leak coming from the bottom of a union. I suspect either didn't twist the pipe enough to spread the glue everywhere or it's leaking through the little space between the red pipe and the union. Anyhow, if I just put some pvc glue around the inside and on the edge on the outside, will that be good enough to seal it?

IMG_7158.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know exactly where the leak is? I was thinking a missing o-ring but I see you have one.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know exactly where the leak is? I was thinking a missing o-ring but I see you have one.
It's a little difficult to tell because the leak is on the opposite side of where I can see when it's hooked up. My best guess is it's Coming from just under the union.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I was wondering if the leak is really where you think it is. In this situations I usually opt to just swap the parts out. A couple bucks in parts is worth it for the peace of mind.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I was wondering if the leak is really where you think it is. In this situations I usually opt to just swap the parts out. A couple bucks in parts is worth it for the peace of mind.
Well the problem is that if I switch out just that bottom part of the union it's going to cost more than a couple bucks.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the union totally tightened? At this point I don’t think the glue will help. Maybe some silicone around the seam between the red pipe and the union ends would work (on the outside not the inside). But if it’s a new setup you might just want to swap it out to save hassles later.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy regular pvc and paint it red to save money.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the union totally tightened? At this point I don’t think the glue will help. Maybe some silicone around the seam between the red pipe and the union ends would work (on the outside not the inside). But if it’s a new setup you might just want to swap it out to save hassles later.
Could it be possible the O ring just isn't working good enough? If that's the case, couldn't I just buy another O ring to put in there? I did notice the O ring seems to not be the best.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dry everything off thoroughly, hook it back up and watch it with a flashlight for where the drop forms. Dry it off and watch for another drop.

If it is the intersection of the PVC and the union it will come out there. If it is the union, it will come out by the threads. A leak inside the union won't matter if the union is sealed.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could change out the o-ring. Chances are the union is fine and the leak could be from when you glued them together. Did you twist them right after you glued them? That helps with leaks. You insert both glued ends together and then twist them about 45 degrees before the glue sets.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O-ring looks fine in the pic, but even a micro-scratch or cut can result in a leak. More often, however, o-rings leak because they are over tightened. You want it hand-tight; it shouldn't require any tools to connect or disconnect.
IF the leak is in the union, it is unlikely that silicone will create the desired seal. The PVC glue used actually causes the two pieces to fuse together - in effect, becoming a single piece. Silicone layered on top of that won't create such a solid bond, and over time water would likely find a way through any such attempted patch.
There are other means of patching pipes, but none that I've ever tried have lasted long (or even worked), and most of them are not aesthetically pleasing...

I agree with others above; it's a good idea to just start over with this piece of your plumbing.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I turned on the return pump and watched the water actually leak from where the union screws in. Not where the pipe goes into it.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this might seem dumb but, I tried not tightening it as much and that seemed to do the trick. I must have over tightened it with my hands and not gotten a good seal.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you install it upside down by chance?
I'm going to take back what I said and go with it's a bad o ring. I've noticed it does get slightly better if I don't tighten it down as much but it still does leak the tiniest bit. It can only be installed one way because it is a swing check valve. I assume lowes carries o rings so I'll try that tomorrow

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take back what I said and go with it's a bad o ring. I've noticed it does get slightly better if I don't tighten it down as much but it still does leak the tiniest bit. It can only be installed one way because it is a swing check valve. I assume lowes carries o rings so I'll try that tomorrow
Ok. Let us know how it goes!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can only be installed one way because it is a swing check valve.
Off topic but just making sure your system is designed so that you won’t flood if that check valve fails. They’re notorious for getting biofouled and not sealing.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but just making sure your system is designed so that you won’t flood if that check valve fails. They’re notorious for getting biofouled and not sealing.
Agreed. I bought a Wye check valve which was pricey but is very easy to clean. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back