Leaking Red Sea reefer

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been seriously considering a Red Sea Reefer for my tank upgrade. After the tons of posts about leaking or breaking completely I think I’m going to pass.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I looking at? lol If I had a guess I'd say something nearby is stinging the hell out of it. Cause BJD usually moves a lot quicker.
I’ve been seriously considering a Red Sea Reefer for my tank upgrade. After the tons of posts about leaking or breaking completely I think I’m going to pass.

Red Sea Reefers are absolutely amazing, and the support is on point - I'd honestly do it in a heartbeat again

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BamaMedic
The Red Sea Reefers that seem to be the biggest problem is the 750. To be honest it's their size and stand that might be their Achilles heal. If you are looking at a smaller size Red Sea is a good tank.

Keep in mind that these ones with leaking pipes are all older tanks and the Orings are easy to change. Orings should be changed anytime the unit is disassembled anyway. If assembled correctly from new they should last a very long time. Also if for some reason you develop a leaking Oring from the pipes it drips straight into the sump. No water will get outside of where it should.

It's your call. But if I was buying a smaller tank Red Sea would be on my shopping list as well as a few others.

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BamaMedic
The Red Sea Reefers that seem to be the biggest problem is the 750. To be honest it's their size and stand that might be their Achilles heal. If you are looking at a smaller size Red Sea is a good tank.

Keep in mind that these ones with leaking pipes are all older tanks and the Orings are easy to change. Orings should be changed anytime the unit is disassembled anyway. If assembled correctly from new they should last a very long time. Also if for some reason you develop a leaking Oring from the pipes it drips straight into the sump. No water will get outside of where it should.

It's your call. But if I was buying a smaller tank Red Sea would be on my shopping list as well as a few others.
I couldn’t say for certain if it were 750s I saw or not but that seems likely. I’ve seen everything from total failure to leaking o-rings. I’m looking for one around 120 gallons with a personally built stand. I’ve also been looking at the SC predrilled, rimless tanks as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back