Need some advice for RSR 250 issue

thegreenhunterz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef,

I'm about 3/4 the way of moving over my aquarium from an old aqua medic model to a Red Sea 250 that I got second hand. I made the mistake of not properly leak testing a second time, and have some issue with leaking plumbing that I need advice on. The previous owner used silicone to put the top part of the plumbing into place. Might've been a red flag, but I am new to plumbed systems, and he had multiple systems over the years. So I expected it to be okay.

The issue at hand is the following, the Red Sea return plumbing part (I think R42221) has the connection ring siliconed in place, but a very small hole opened up when I was nearly done filling up the whole system. Water was leaking out of it so I made sure to drain the overflow and the return part section of the sump. I hope the picture beneath shows enough of the return pump section to make some sense.

Leakage.jpg

Can I repair or replace the silicone seal, or should I try and remove the siliconed plumbing part carefully and replace it with spare parts? I'd have to get some spare parts tomorrow or get them delivered, but that might take until next tuesday.

I still have my 5 fish and a few corals in a separate container next to the aquarium. Would it be safe to move them in without having the overflow installed? I have a heater, wavemakers and skimmer running inside the display currently.

Thanks in advance!

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like the previous owner did some aftermarket plumbing because that is not how the original Reefer plumbing. You would be better off replacing the return plumbing with the redsea part. It's hard for me to tell if the issue is one the screw on part below the return piping or is it the return pipe itself. If it's just the screw on part below the pipe then you could order redsea part 42221 and get a conversion piece to convert from metric to US pipe size and fix the issue.

OP
OP
thegreenhunterz

thegreenhunterz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the previous owner did some aftermarket plumbing because that is not how the original Reefer plumbing. You would be better off replacing the return plumbing with the redsea part. It's hard for me to tell if the issue is one the screw on part below the return piping or is it the return pipe itself. If it's just the screw on part below the pipe then you could order redsea part 42221 and get a conversion piece to convert from metric to US pipe size and fix the issue.

I was afraid that would be the case. It looks like it's coming from the screw part, itself, but since it is siliconed in place I can't really tell either. I will order the spare part and replace it asap. With a conversion piece you probably mean some kind of adapter between the piping and the red sea part? Sorry for all the questions, it was a long day and I'm pretty new this plumbing stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back