PVC/Hybrid Acrylic Sump Repair

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC/Hybrid acrylic sump, has developed a leak where the clear window butts up against the PVC part. It very slightly leaking and it wet to the touch. I'm actually moving the tank to another room so this is a good time to fix it. I just remove the clear section and you some type of silicone to reattach it what are my options here and if it's silicone what type do I use?

Thanks

PXL_20240212_005456722.MP~4.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC/Hybrid acrylic sump, has developed a leak where the clear window butts up against the PVC part. It very slightly leaking and it wet to the touch. I'm actually moving the tank to another room so this is a good time to fix it. I just remove the clear section and you some type of silicone to reattach it what are my options here and if it's silicone what type do I use?

Thanks

PXL_20240212_005456722.MP~4.jpg
Ouch… these are actually plastic welded with a hot air welder… basically a solder iron with plastic rod lol… ummm I’d say some Weldon 16 would be your best bet if it’s just a tiny pinhole leak.. it’s not structural as all the force is pushing the clear window up against the pvc.. even thick super glue would work if you want, silicone doesn’t stick to acrylic and even worse on pvc lol.. I’d personally use Weldon 40 or 42 but it’s not really needed for you to go out and buy a $300 gun to fix a pin hole. I have one as I do this for a living.

I’d also like to add DONT remove the window just dry it very well and seal it from the outside it would be mush easier and cleaner as you have an edge to back fill.

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch… these are actually plastic welded with a hot air welder… basically a solder iron with plastic rod lol… ummm I’d say some Weldon 16 would be your best bet if it’s just a tiny pinhole leak.. it’s not structural as all the force is pushing the clear window up against the pvc.. even thick super glue would work if you want, silicone doesn’t stick to acrylic and even worse on pvc lol.. I’d personally use Weldon 40 or 42 but it’s not really needed for you to go out and buy a $300 gun to fix a pin hole. I have one as I do this for a living.

I’d also like to add DONT remove the window just dry it very well and seal it from the outside it would be mush easier and cleaner as you have an edge to back fill.
Thank you for your advice very much appreciated I will definitely consider all those things you suggested when I go to fix. Thanks

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Started to move the sump today and realized it actually the clear section is cracked. So it definitely worse than I thought. Now what are my options? Can it even be fixed? Assume I would need to find a shop to make new acrylic section?

Attachments

• PXL_20240214_184633282.jpg
    PXL_20240214_184633282.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 39

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to move the sump today and realized it actually the clear section is cracked. So it definitely worse than I thought. Now what are my options? Can it even be fixed? Assume I would need to find a shop to make new acrylic section?
Rrrrr… yeah a new piece is in order.. did it remove easily? I have the same sump but never paid attention to the weld inside. I’ll look at mine today and let you know.. if you were to replace that piece I’d get some weld on 40 it comes in pints and easy to use in a ketchup bottle to laminate the new one inside.

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rrrrr… yeah a new piece is in order.. did it remove easily? I have the same sump but never paid attention to the weld inside. I’ll look at mine today and let you know.. if you were to replace that piece I’d get some weld on 40 it comes in pints and easy to use in a ketchup bottle to laminate the new one inside.
Yes after I noticed the crack I was able to push out without much effort. I know it has red around the inside around where the broken window attached. Same that on the outside at the seams. Also assuming I need to find a glass company that does acrylic to make a new section?

Thanks again

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after I noticed the crack I was able to push out without much effort. I know it has red around the inside around where the broken window attached. Same that on the outside at the seams. Also assuming I need to find a glass company that does acrylic to make a new section?

Thanks again
Plastic shop or sign shop.. or you can just buy it at Home Depot or Amazon and cut it yourself if you have a jigsaw..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back