Small leak. Repairing it wet.

jasonduganart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole in the bottom of my 4ft 120 acrylic tank has a very slow leak. Was good for a few months. I did not use a bulkhead (against advice) as it is straight down to sump, it’s double reinforced to prevent flex and I was confident this wouldn’t happen. How can I fix it while wet and without draining the tank to dry? The overflow is slightly leaky so I can’t just drain that and dry it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The hole in the bottom of my 4ft 120 acrylic tank has a very slow leak. Was good for a few months. I did not use a bulkhead (against advice) as it is straight down to sump, it’s double reinforced to prevent flex and I was confident this wouldn’t happen. How can I fix it while wet and without draining the tank to dry? The overflow is slightly leaky so I can’t just drain that and dry it.
I had the same and did use bulkhead (advised) and same applies to durso plumbing where bulkhead is on bottom
Unfortunately if it was an overflow box, you can drain and repair but being on the tank- You must drain. There is no flexseal or similar that will seal it

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome & sorry to hear
IMG_8890.jpeg

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R!
is it dripping strait into your sump?
if it was me and if it dripping into sump, i would leave it alone, salt will eventually stop a slow leak.
other option if needed to reseal it dry, you can get 3 32g trash bins from home depot to drain water temporarily into

Last edited:

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to install a bulkhead while wet and then use threaded piping if the leak in the overflow box is not too large. It will be messy. You need to make sure you clean any residue material from the sealing surface.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081, a dry fix is the only guaranteed, no leeks in the future fix. Time to head out and purchase a large plastic watering trough at the farm supply store to put everything in during the fix.

Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0 White.png

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the UK we have CT1 sealant which can be used even underwater. See if you can get hold of some or similar

Its always going to be better to drain it down though but depends on your circumstances etc

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back