Leather coral hi-jacker ID sought

  • Thread starter Thread starter Angus1989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Angus1989

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2023
Messages
33
Reaction score
6
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
Bought this leather coral today from my LFS, typical toadstool, and when I was acclimating I saw there was this weird thing 'breathing' at the base. There's also a Zoa on it which I was happy to have.

It opened and closed its orifice which is the X thing during acclimating and dip. Doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

Also bonus help: what is the pest thing found during the dip? Like a little star fish that was wriggling around until it died.

PXL_20231022_061636681.MP.jpg PXL_20231022_062004259.jpg
 
Hey,
Bought this leather coral today from my LFS, typical toadstool, and when I was acclimating I saw there was this weird thing 'breathing' at the base. There's also a Zoa on it which I was happy to have.

It opened and closed its orifice which is the X thing during acclimating and dip. Doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

Also bonus help: what is the pest thing found during the dip? Like a little star fish that was wriggling around until it died.

PXL_20231022_061636681.MP.jpg PXL_20231022_062004259.jpg
The first one could be a Tunicate and the second one is a gorgeous microbrittle starfish - if you see these, take them out of the dip and throw them in your tank. They’re useful CUC members as they get into holes snails and shrimp can’t.
 
The first one could be a Tunicate and the second one is a gorgeous microbrittle starfish - if you see these, take them out of the dip and throw them in your tank. They’re useful CUC members as they get into holes snails and shrimp can’t.
Ahhh I was afraid it was going to be some helpful critter I mistook for a pest. Such a waste. Sorry little guy.

I've since seen that the possible Tunicate has a second hole so I would put good faith in your identification. I assume it isn't anything negative to have around.

Thank you for the speedy response and identification.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20231022_091232252.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231022_091232252.MP.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 95

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new