Leather Coral Not Opening Up

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I bought a green leather toadstool the other day and it's been in my tank for three days. I drip-acclimated the coral into the tank and am still waiting for the polyps to come out. I increased the flow today to moderate flow on day three. The light is a low-level light which my mushroom corals are thriving on. The tank is still in its first month but the parameters are stable except for abit of a high ammonia. I am going to do a water change later today for the ammonia but i have been told from my LFS that they would still open in those paramters. I beloieve it could be shedding as i saw a glossy film on top of the coral. I have also seen what seems to be a parasite but the coral was fine in the LFS so i dont think that is the reason. My main question is . Is it normal for them to still be closed or could it be dying.

IMG_20230522_211010.jpg IMG_20230522_211032.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone
I bought a green leather toadstool the other day and it's been in my tank for three days. I drip-acclimated the coral into the tank and am still waiting for the polyps to come out. I increased the flow today to moderate flow on day three. The light is a low-level light which my mushroom corals are thriving on. The tank is still in its first month but the parameters are stable except for abit of a high ammonia. I am going to do a water change later today for the ammonia but i have been told from my LFS that they would still open in those paramters. I beloieve it could be shedding as i saw a glossy film on top of the coral. I have also seen what seems to be a parasite but the coral was fine in the LFS so i dont think that is the reason. My main question is . Is it normal for them to still be closed or could it be dying.

IMG_20230522_211010.jpg IMG_20230522_211032.jpg
In many cases , its too much light and not enough flow.
There may be a film developed on the surface due to this. Take a turkey baster and give it a few blasts from the turkey baster. Increase water flow to medium towards it and not at it and lights moderate , heavy in blue.
You will see a change shortly.

This is very typical of mine:

1684804730530.png

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many cases , its too much light and not enough flow.
There may be a film developed on the surface due to this. Take a turkey baster and give it a few blasts from the turkey baster. Increase water flow to medium towards it and not at it and lights moderate , heavy in blue.
You will see a change shortly.

This is very typical of mine:

1684804730530.png
I changed the strength of my wavemaker a bit higher and more directed to the leather. Nothing crazy but just a small increase. Well see how it does later today.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I changed the strength of my wavemaker a bit higher and more directed to the leather. Nothing crazy but just a small increase. Well see how it does later today.
In 2-4 hours you may already see surface film separation and a couple of polyps peeking out

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ill check when I get back home. In a worst-case scenario when it dies how will I know?
It will wilt and the stem will disintegrate but this is far from dead

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back