Leather coral shedding question

Mikeand Mel

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2017
Messages
167
Reaction score
50
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our leather coral seems to shed every few (5-7) days. It is small (3 1/2-4" tall), when it opens and all polyps are out it is a bit larger. It stays this way for about a week then closes up for three or four days and sheds.
Right now it is in a 40B quaratine tank for corals, nothing close to it....its actually in a frag rack.
Is this normal? Maybe too much light? Too little direct flow?
Parameters:
temp 78.3
Sal 1.026
LED lights on for 11 hrs/day
Other corals in tank: Flower pot. hydrnophora, duncan, montipora.....nothing even close to 6" away.
 
I have read that parasites can cause excessive shedding trying to get rid of them. But if there are none on the leather than I would assume it is just normal growth
 
Thanks! I dipped the coral in coralx about a month ago. I just didn't think these corals sheds so much.
When it closes to shed it gets really small.
 
Yes they do look tiny and kind of stubby when they are shedding. But it is just further growth. Assuming no parasites are there it is a very good sign. Especially if it happens often.
 
It opened up yesterday and yes it looks bigger already.
I guess I should be happy, thatevery week it looks horrible for a couple of days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new