Leather trouble giving me trouble

I think your toadstool has an infection. When you cut away the infected dead tissue make sure you go well into the healthy part of the toadstool. Kinda like a bruised fruit. You cant see it but the infection goes beyond the obvious necrotic tissue.

After the surgery, youll want to do a dip outside of the DT. Maybe even do a QT setup if you can. I would pick from these medications. Ive never used it but medicoral sounds like some good stuff.

Brightwell Medicoral - probably awesome but ive never used it.
Coral RX - i use it and works good
Lugols - made by a few brands. I have brightwells version.

Dip per instructions. After you do the dip youll want to do a rinse. Then the coral can either go back in the tank or into a QT tank.
 
I would give your coral 7-10 minutes in the dip. Then 10 minutes in a rinse. Have 2 containers ready to go. You can use tank water for both containers. If your going into a QT I would do the rinse in fresh mixed saltwater. Also using fresh mixed salt in the QT.

There is also an antibacterial medication you can add to a DT or QT that is "reef safe". The medication name isnt coming to me, but I know @Humblefish knows the name. Its used to treat fish bacterial infection but also coral bacterial infection. Might be Kanaplex?
 
I've successfully used ciprofloxacin on leather corals. It's the same antibiotic most use on infected anemones. However, I would only use in a QT environment.
 
@stevo01 You might be thinking of erythromycin; that treats gram positive infections for fish and is somewhat reef safe. Erythromycin is the old active ingredient used in Chemi-clean and would probably clear an infection for a leather coral as well.
 
@stevo01 You might be thinking of erythromycin; that treats gram positive infections for fish and is somewhat reef safe. Erythromycin is the old active ingredient used in Chemi-clean and would probably clear an infection for a leather coral as well.

Thanks, Ill remember that next time :)
 
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG
Well here what left the dip I had on hand was seachem the iodine based one hope it is good enough
 
I should have just to see if I could save the infected part but was happy with what what was left it appears to be good I put main remaing part back in Display I also have a cube at home that I put a small cutting witch already polyps .
 
This leather as been with me in many tanks.
My dt has many sps and other things that are way cooler but this one was quit large and was like the old man in the tank . I am amazed that one little bump with a siphon could cause all this
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new