Leather won’t fully open- 3 months

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Afkomjorgen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2020
Messages
294
Reaction score
178
Location
seattle wa
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the most my leather has opened in 3 months when I bought it from my lfs. This is actually much improved from its first two months of just sitting. I’ve adjusted it a couple of times but it’s the same.
if needed I could boost it up if you see a spot it would like more

it seems pink/happy otherwise. It shrinks and grows every day. Once every couple of weeks it sheds.

should I be concerned?
FC178921-6350-4F5F-A853-0DBF682F3B9D.jpeg

A4809A14-302B-41B5-847D-2E91EB7EDC5D.jpeg
7F2C3CDB-071F-48DE-8757-9A6FE9402668.jpeg


would you believe I got this behemoth for $40? :)
 
Last edited:
I had that same type once— looked/acted the same way as you are describing. Yours actually seems to be doing well; enjoy! ;)
 
Same thing happened to me. I posted here and someone said it took 6 months for his to open up. It took around the same time for mine to open as well. It looks better each day.
When I got it
Devil Hand.jpg

Today, lights ramping up
20220108_090540_HDR.jpg
 
A piece that big is probably going to take awhile to get comfy in your tank. Leathers are super hardy so I wouldn't worry too much as long as everything else checks out. They'll also close up for periods to shed it's mucus layer. Great tank btw. A lot of big boys in there. Great to see.
 
I had that same type once— looked/acted the same way as you are describing. Yours actually seems to be doing well; enjoy! ;)
Thank you! That’s good to hear.
Same thing happened to me. I posted here and someone said it took 6 months for his to open up. It took around the same time for mine to open as well. It looks better each day.
When I got it
Devil Hand.jpg

Today, lights ramping up
20220108_090540_HDR.jpg
What a beauty! I cannot wait for mine to open up now! I feel so much better knowing this, I thought I was neglecting it.
A piece that big is probably going to take awhile to get comfy in your tank. Leathers are super hardy so I wouldn't worry too much as long as everything else checks out. They'll also close up for periods to shed it's mucus layer. Great tank btw. A lot of big boys in there. Great to see.
:) thank you so much. It’s my first salt tank I’m super proud of it. I’m looking forward to it opening when it ready.
I wouldn’t be overly concerned as there is no brown spots or rotten looking areas. Mine like high flow and high light for them to open their polyps.
Thank you! I’ve been slowly raising the intensity of the light. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new