LED and T5 combo

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering for anyone that has used an LED and T5 combo, what are your thoughts. I recently just added T5’s to my system to go with my Radions. What should I have my par at for a mixed reef system?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED T5 is my favorite setup so far. You get the power of the leds with the coverage and spectral blend of t5's. Par coverage for a mixed reef can be tricky as LPS and soft corals like lower light, and SPS like higher light. 200-350 should be good

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on my par but i run 2 kessil 360we with 4, 4 foot long t5 on my 125 gallon. Love it. The t5 really brings a nice look to my tank and covers EVRRYTHING in light so shadows are very very minimal. Led brings a wonderful pop to my corals but on their own, before t5 kicks on, the shadowing can be pretty bad in areas. Together, IMO, they are a powerful combo. I like to run my led for a long part of the day and t5 kick on for a shorter duration. I love the kessil controller with the led. Lets me slowly ramp up and down throughout the day so, unlike the t5, it doesn't go full blast all day

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love mine. Everything about it.
I’m setting up a 4 foot 120 in the coming months and planning on the giessman t5 hybrid with two kessil 360x.

Love kessil shimmer and ease of use.

any recommendations on settings for the kessil?

currently have a 2 x2x2 cube with a 24 inch aquatic life and two kessil 160. They run full blast at the highest setting, but I think the 360 will be a bit more power

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. Everything about it.
I’m setting up a 4 foot 120 in the coming months and planning on the giessman t5 hybrid with two kessil 360x.

Love kessil shimmer and ease of use.

any recommendations on settings for the kessil?

currently have a 2 x2x2 cube with a 24 inch aquatic life and two kessil 160. They run full blast at the highest setting, but I think the 360 will be a bit more power

I'm sure your corals will adjust fine but if you're worried, start at lower intensity and increase by 10% a week or something. Maybe start out at 60% or 70% max power and increase from there? I've been doing that with my corals since i first transitioned from weak led to the kessils.of course i had to start out much lower, like 30% as my old leds really were quite weak. I forget to increase some weeks, i just realized i was at 60% power yesterday for who knows how long lol. Today got bumped up to 70 and everything loved it, no problems at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back