led Light and Water Blaster pumps

CrAzY_CrAcKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm ready to take the plunge and upgrade lights and pumps. I have right now on my 180 880 watts of vho lighting and a mag 9.5 as a return pump. I am thinking about switching over to leds and water blaster pumps. just seeing what everyone else is using and if they are using them now. How much they like them.
Thanks

wrasseluver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diy led fixture and love it and I also have a water blaster and hate it. The pump has a bad vibration and the suction cups come off the pump once a week.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using LEDs since last May and love them- cooler water (no need for chiller), much less power, dimmable, long-lasting bulbs, etc. What's not to love?

CJ

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaIllumination on DT
Maxspect G2-160 on FT
Evil PAR 38 on sump/fuge
ReefBrites on my Desktop Nano
Waterblaster HY5000 as return pump on the DT - It's run perfectly (restarts every time) since install 5 months ago.

Love em all :bigsmile:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaIllumination on DT
Maxspect G2-160 on FT
Evil PAR 38 on sump/fuge
ReefBrites on my Desktop Nano
Waterblaster HY5000 as return pump on the DT - It's run perfectly (restarts every time) since install 5 months ago.

Love em all :bigsmile:

you might want to edit that link to rc.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to edit that link to rc.
Nixer,

Is linking to an outside source a violation of R2R rules?

That build thread was created prior to my discovery of and participation in R2R. I'd be curious to know if under the circumstance that link violates an R2R policy. If so, I'll adjust my participation accordingly.

Last edited:

tcfab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to look into laguna pumps for your return pump. They are very quiet and great pumps. ATB makes some with the laguna pump and they add a base plate with silicone feet.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dart for my pump, love it, but it has a little more power than I'd like. WEre I to redo I'd still use the dart, but I'd T off the output so that I could run 2-3 things off it (main 2" line would go back to the tank, and 2-3 branches would include gate valves to run things like GAC, Carbon pellets, chiller, etc.

OP
OP
C

CrAzY_CrAcKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to save money on electric bill by using the Water Blaster pumps. I have the one pump (MDX4 Little Giant) running one of the tanks I want to replace with the water blaster. Can I hook it up external or dose it have to be in the sump? For the LED lighting I just talked with the wife and she's all for that expense. Now the question is I've read that one led unit with a 70 lens will take care of a tank that is 2x2. So can I start off by just using 3 fixtures on a 180. thanks again for all the help.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nixer,

Is linking to an outside source a violation of R2R rules?

That build thread was created prior to my discovery of and participation in R2R. I'd be curious to know if under the circumstance that link violates an R2R policy. If so, I'll adjust my participation accordingly.

no, but rc might have issues with it

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to save money on electric bill by using the Water Blaster pumps. I have the one pump (MDX4 Little Giant) running one of the tanks I want to replace with the water blaster. Can I hook it up external or dose it have to be in the sump? For the LED lighting I just talked with the wife and she's all for that expense. Now the question is I've read that one led unit with a 70 lens will take care of a tank that is 2x2. So can I start off by just using 3 fixtures on a 180. thanks again for all the help.

i have 3 evolution units on my 180 with pretty good coverage

OP
OP
C

CrAzY_CrAcKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, What kind of corals do you have lps,sps,softies or a mix. I'm looking to do a mix with them. I was looking into the Aqua Illumination.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually doing the same upgrades as you. I'm in the process of replacing my MH's with Aqua Illumination sol blues and my mag 9.5 with a water blaster HY 5000.

OP
OP
C

CrAzY_CrAcKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to put my order in for them this weekend. I've been searching and searching and I am pleased with all the help everyone has given me here. Thanks for all the help. Now the hard part waiting for the stuff to come.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back