LED Light Sizes

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still building out a 180 gallon tank and am researching lights. I want lights that sit right on top of the tank, not hanging from the ceiling or clamped to sit above the tank.

What I can't find is the size needed. The tank is plexiglass 6'x2'x2'. Do I need a 72" long light? Or a smaller one, 48" long perhaps? Will one strip suffice, or two with one towards the front and one towards the back? I have a 40 gallon that is old school and has a single fixture with two florescent bulbs around 60% the length of the tank. (never has corals though)

I am planning a community type reef with very basic/easy corals for awhile.

Thanks in advance for your help,

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are doing LED light bars you will need to make sure the bracket is as long as the tank (or theoretically as long as from one side of the tank to the middle brace).

Given the 2' tank width I think you are going to want at LEAST 2 bars if not 4+.

EDIT: Looking into some of the light bar options, it looks like some of the brands don't make lights (and brackets) that cover a 6' tank. The biggest AI Blade lights are 66" and do not come with the brackets, looks like they want you to use the ceiling mount. Fluval Marine only go up to 60". Obviously that is not all the manufactures, but interesting to me as 6' is a pretty common tank length. . . but all my tanks are tiny haha! Maybe lights to the middle brace is a good option. . .

Big tank people? @vetteguy53081

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back