Lights! Camera! Action!

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the planning stages of setting up my tank, and for nights I have found myself wading through Amazon and the lights section of multiple websites looking for an affordable light that will meet my needs. I am willing to put a little extra money into getting decent lighting so that hopefully I will not have to learn from my mistakes and purchase different lighting in 6 months. So I'm not looking at the cheapest options but I'm also not able to afford the high end $600 lighting at this time. I am trying to hopefully stay around a comfortable $250 although I realize lights are important and I might reach a little deeper in my pockets if need be.

The tank I am wanting to set up is a more unique situation, I think, because it is not only rimmed but it has an open canopy on top. I do not think the lights with the mounting arms will work here. I have thought about somehow mounting them to the wood but then it would make it more difficult to remove the canopy if for any reason I need better access the bottom of the tank.

1000006329.jpg
1000006330.jpg
1000006331.jpg

I am planning on getting a glass lid to cover the tank to hopefully keep the dust out and keep the critters in. I considered the lights that can lay across the top but I'm not so sure those are strong enough for corals. This tank is 36 inches long and 21 inches deep being 16 inches wide at the widest part of the bow.

I am considering lighting that I would have to hang and hoping that I might find something that hangs down into the canopy. I was thinking about hanging a bar down from my ceiling and then suspending the lights from that to give me more play with how far down they they come. My ceilings are 8ft tall and my tank stands about 68 inches tall with the canopy.

1000006084.jpg

Can anyone bounce some thoughts/ideas around for me on this? Anything that you wish you knew when purchasing your first lights? Any recommendations on lighting greatly appreciated.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skip the glass ( it can work tho) but screen is a lil more heat/light friendly

Nicrew and a few other Amazon LED’s are not top notch but better than OK … I don’t endorse them for a establishedtank but go for it

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice! What are your plans for stocking it?
Thank you! I picked it up on Facebook Marketplace for $125 from someone who was upgrading their setup. I have not made too many plans as far as livestock yet. I do know that I would like some clowns, corals, and probably a goby. As far as corals I'm thinking about starting off with some mushrooms and zoanthids. I still need to do some research on what would be compatible in a community tank as well as what is in my price range. I might end up having to order livestock online because we do not have very much to choose from here at our LFS. ♡

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I picked it up on Facebook Marketplace for $125 from someone who was upgrading their setup. I have not made too many plans as far as livestock yet. I do know that I would like some clowns, corals, and probably a goby. As far as corals I'm thinking about starting off with some mushrooms and zoanthids. I still need to do some research on what would be compatible in a community tank as well as what is in my price range. I might end up having to order livestock online because we do not have very much to choose from here at our LFS. ♡
Wow! You really got a great deal on that set up. Yes soft corals are great to start out, I personally love zoa's. I have several in my tank. I just got my first ever SPS last week.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have something kind of similar. i just laid this skinny, light board across the the top and hung the lights on it. the center braces gives it plenty of stability. thick dowels would work too, but might roll :)
Resized_20240424_112151_1713982937786.jpeg

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have something kind of similar. i just laid this skinny, light board across the the top and hung the lights on it. the center braces gives it plenty of stability. thick dowels would work too, but might roll :)
Resized_20240424_112151_1713982937786.jpeg
Good idea! I had not thought of that yet. Thank you! ♡

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skip the glass ( it can work tho) but screen is a lil more heat/light friendly

Nicrew and a few other Amazon LED’s are not top notch but better than OK … I don’t endorse them for a establishedtank but go for it
I've considered screen and am planning on adding an ATO system so that should combat any evaporation. I can't find a mesh screen for this tank yet though. I'm not sure if I could build one myself lol. Maybe.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back