LED Lighting without an cell phone app

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have 3 Red Sea 90's mounted on my Red Sea e260. Two over the main tank, one over the sump. I really do not like these lights after having them two years. One died a month ago and I went ahead and replaced it since I had not had time to research replacing them. Other than already having a dead one, I just despise the app and connectivity issues. I have a ton of wifi devices in my house and the Red Sea lights are the only devices that seem to constantly disconnect. Often we can change the programming on the lights and the next day one light will not come on and require a reboot. They on occasion will completely lose their settings and refuse to connect back to the app, requiring a full reset of the light. Also something we noticed is how the spread on the lights are just too center heavy and we have dark spots in the tank, corals in the corners just always struggle.

I am not on some big budget with lighting and I can spend a little or a lot but I have no shame in going with a black box LED since some of them require no app. I also would not mind a light that has a local HTTP server built in or can be controlled with something like home assist, I just do not want it using a cell phone app. I was getting excited on the Radion G6 X30 until I saw it used a cell phone app, that seems like a deal breaker to me. Any recommendations are appreciated, I am 2-4 weeks out of having enough money to replace all three lights. I would prefer to go overpowered on the lights and reduce the brightness, that way if I ever switch to full SPS I will have enough light.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just my opinion, but I'd consider the Reef Breeders Photons. I've been using them for many years and still have an original Photon that has virtually the same PAR it had when it was new. And the remote control works fine. They have full 6 channel control and full 24 hour ramp ability. IMHO, they are the best full control fixture for the money!

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there
You could consider go to the K7 V3 controller version coral light
Hope it's a helpful advice for you

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back