OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your purpose. I would find 2 radion g4s xr30s for cheap. Seen them floating around here for $300 a piece. They still perform very well.

I have had xr30 g4 pro over my late 75 gallomnand they were fantastic.

I currently have orphek icons and they are a beast but they are pricey.
How long have you had them? and have they given you any issues?

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the current USA orbit 48” x 2 (not pro) on my 70 gallon aquarium for 3/4 years and used them on a 75 gallon for a few years before that and they performed no problem and still work but I just upgraded to two Red Sea LED 90’s. The chalice in my picture didn’t last as the lighting wasn’t strong enough but all the other corals got good growth.
Great info, thank you!

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your purpose. I would find 2 radion g4s xr30s for cheap. Seen them floating around here for $300 a piece. They still perform very well.

I have had xr30 g4 pro over my late 75 gallomnand they were fantastic.

I currently have orphek icons and they are a beast but they are pricey.

And yes I had reffbrite MH with xhos and they were amazing( the heat is what drove me away). They are still in my garage collecting dust!.
I will be looking into these lights. THank you!

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How long have you had them? and have they given you any issues?
I had them for 1 year and had no issues at all.i bought them second hand as well. Tested par and it was rock solid. I know people that are still running them 8 years and still going strong.

If I was in a budget and don't have SPS dominated tank currently I would go back to gen 4 pro any day of the week.

Most of the coral farms are still running the G4s by the way. Only one that switched were the ones sponsored by ecotech to get the newer version to drive their sales on the new ones!

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a 75g? If just lps and softies you could go a couple kessil a 160s and that would do. They are what i run on my tank but i did just order the quanta pro led bar which is like led forms of t5. I added so.e sps about a month ago and a 160s are a little on the low light sude for them. But i have had them for 7 months now and no problems.

As far as how long i run them i have the spectral controller and i have them on at 1200 and ramp up to 1530. Then 100% intensity and 30% color til 2030 the n ram down until 0000. I have some corals groqing out of control in just 7 months including some low end sps.
Have this system been on your tanks for months, or years? Yes, my tank is a 75.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamilton Cebu, 2 x 250w Radium's with 4 ATI T 5s. I ran Ecotech Radion previously. They did ok, but they just didn't have the same punch and shimmer that I had before switching to LED. Issue for me is that mfgrs update their lights and stop supporting the old ones every few years now. It's like they're iPhones. There's pics of my tank under LED and now under the Hamilton fixture in my build thread and the 'disco ball' effect with the LED is hard to miss and I was never happy with that.
Ill be checking out your set up, thank you for the info. The shimmer doesnt really bother me. But i understand it does bother alot of people. Yep! Change or die it seems anymore! LOL. If it works, change it, there must be something better! LOL. Oh well.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go with LED bars? Quanta, reef brite, or orphek are all popular. They will give you better coverage than modular lights. You can buy them one at a time, so no need to throw down a huge chunk of money.

I have both reef brite and orphek, Never had an issue with either.

Quanta are newer and I’ve heard nothing but good things.

I also run T5, in my experience LED/T5 hybrid is the best combination for acropora coloration.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go with LED bars? Quanta, reef brite, or orphek are all popular. They will give you better coverage than modular lights. You can buy them one at a time, so no need to throw down a huge chunk of money.

I have both reef brite and orphek, Never had an issue with either.

Quanta are newer and I’ve heard nothing but good things.

I also run T5, in my experience LED/T5 hybrid is the best combination for acropora coloration.
Thank you for your input! Ill look into both. I have not stumbled on the Quanta. Ill look them up. Awesome reply. Ive looked at doing a hybrid with led and t5.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had current pros 72”. Got rid of them because i hated the yellow tint. Only time they could grow anything like a BTA for example was if it was very high up on the rock. Switched to ATI 6x80w and will never go back to LED

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had current pros 72”. Got rid of them because i hated the yellow tint. Only time they could grow anything like a BTA for example was if it was very high up on the rock. Switched to ATI 6x80w and will never go back to LED
Mine grew great coraline, and my hamer was doing well, right up to 7 months, then my white leds have slowly turned yellow. Im looking at the ATI right now.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of an algea scrubber is to remove Nitrates and phosphates, which mine are at or close to zero. And being on to long strips your tank entirely of Phosphatea and nitrates. Which also, is not good. One poster claimes that No Nitrates and phosphates causes uglies, when actually, high nitrates and phosphates is known to cause uglies.

Right now the uglies in your tank are bottoming out that stuff. What i do is use the scrubber to bottom out nit and phos then does back in to keep phos at .03 and nitrate around 5. I can control the levels

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back