0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI
Yea 2 would be better. 5,000each & 10,000 combined lux is still not much.
I have a current on my 55 its not bright enough. 2 on a 16" deep would be pretty good.

OP
OP
PaReeferJ

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to put a current orbit on with a cheapo Chinese eBay light.
I don't have the funds for some of those nicer leds

image.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! those are POWERFUL! Just try to get good spread and your golden. :DGet it high and turn it up!
Ive been thinking about 2 of those for my 55r in a vented canopy. gonna pull lenses

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some led come with individual lenses to focus the light more strait down to intensify the beam of light Many have optional lens choices too. So you can choose spread or intensity.
I believe the mars aqua you posted has remove able lenses. If you pull them off it will have a wider spread. If you leave them on you will get a spotlight effect when the fixture is close.
Wider is better for a wide tank. Not sure your budget but they also make a 36in version from the same seller.
I'm trying to decide between 2 short or the one long one as well. 2 would give me better spread. Same width as your tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a wide light gets spendy or weak like the current.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the spread. Are you a DIY person. It's like a flashlight it has a small beam. Pulling the lenses would make it wider but I don't know how much.
Yes it would prob work but you wave to figure out how to get it wide enough to cover the whole thing or at least most of it. I would do 2 if I could or one long one.
That's the bummer about the current it's long for good spread but not very bright.
I haven't found a cheap strong long light yet.

OP
OP
PaReeferJ

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the spread. Are you a DIY person. It's like a flashlight it has a small beam. Pulling the lenses would make it wider but I don't know how much.
Yes it would prob work but you wave to figure out how to get it wide enough to cover the whole thing or at least most of it. I would do 2 if I could or one long one.
That's the bummer about the current it's long for good spread but not very bright.
I haven't found a cheap strong long light yet.
Ok I'm going to get one and pull the lenses and see if that will work for my setup. If not I will just put the lenses back in and order another one. You have been very helpful. Thank you

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are supposed to be decent lights. If you are on Facebook look for a group called blackbox light proof or something like that. I'd say look for used lighting now on the for sale section. It's tax season and people are upgrading and used fish equipment has little resale value.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back