Led lights

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go by wattage its more about 'Par" when choosing a light source. If you are looking for some cheaper decent lights, I would go for Quanta Pro lights. If you have a bit more money to spend, maybe consider some of the more luxurious lighting options like orphic or sky. Generally, you want around 200+ par for SPS corals and LPS can range from 80-200+ in par ranges.

OP
OP
R

reefman141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Igot dual 250 watt old MH still work got new bulbs if i were to use them how high should they be suspended over the tank

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 54 gallon corner mix reef looking for led light to promote coral growth what wattage ig goog for sps and lps growth
I would go with the Maxspect Jump Blue 65W, it's very powerful and has a nice adjustable spectrum, I call it the coral grower.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have MH already I would use that. I have MH over my 40 breeder, and I have 2 OR3 bars for colour pop. I think its a great combo.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Igot dual 250 watt old MH still work got new bulbs if i were to use them how high should they be suspended over the tank
It would depend on what bulb, type of ballast, and what reflector. Typically mh are hung anywhere between 12-20" off water surface. How much light spill you get vs tank coverage will be a determining factor. I think I had my mh about 14" that was 20 yrs ago now though so may be a little off that was on a 120g standard 4' tank I had 2 250w on that tank and 1 covered a 24x24 area well.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reefing for decades and have a 450 watt metal halide in my shed right now, they are amazing. But , IMHO, 500 watts of metal halide light in the living room somewhere, that's a lot of heat generated unnecessarily considering the quality of LED lights today. There are tons of options out there. AI, Reef breeders, orphec, and one that has peaked my interest lately, Reefi. One and done. Programmable photoperiod and spectrum adjustment. Have bright whites during the day then high blue and purple for coral color pop is the evening. Best of both worlds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back