Why is these things so expensive? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many factors that go into product pricing. Research and development, advertising, shipping and handling.
When I worked for NAPA auto parts we had a seminar on product pricing. If we could have gotten oil filters direct from the factory, we could have sold them for 25 cents a piece and made money. But when you factor in the cost of raw materials, factory's markup, the shipping company's charge to transport them to a packaging. The packaging facility markup. Then shipping them again to the warehouse, and then the warehouse markup to the retail store and suddenly you're at a 12 dollar oil filter to the customer.

It's safe to assume that this applies to most retail products.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a ~100-165watt black box off Ebay or Amazon for less than $100. Lacks wifi, program modes, tagged VLANs, SSH capability and the ability to DVR Monday Night Football but it will grow corals as well as a $800 Radion at 1/8th the price. The cheaper light also doesn't require firmware updates to keep operational either.

None of my friends who have big and thriving SPS tanks use expensive lights.....they mostly run generics or black boxes. Never seen a serious SPS keeper pull out their phone and say 'look what my light can do'.

Also take a look at Noopsyche. Ones I've seen at the local reef shop are impressive.

OP
OP
duane86

duane86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of y’all have experience with the dsuny lights?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Read some reviews about dsuny. Mixed reviews. Main issue : it won’t last , diodes die out rather quickly on some units. Get what you pay for

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a ~100-165watt black box off Ebay or Amazon for less than $100. Lacks wifi, program modes, tagged VLANs, SSH capability and the ability to DVR Monday Night Football but it will grow corals as well as a $800 Radion at 1/8th the price. The cheaper light also doesn't require firmware updates to keep operational either.

Don't forget, it also will catch your home on fire ;)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with black box LED's on my 90 gallon. Recently switched to Kessil 360we. The difference is amazing. Black boxes gave a washed out look. Couldn't really see details of anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back