Led protection

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently i built a led light for my tank and i just wanted to know what the bestway to protect your leds from power surges and what not another questions i have is if the the led seal spray that reefled sells is enough to protect your leds or would it be better to build an acrylic shield to go over the leds. Last question is how do you gypuys get your optics on your leds
Thanks

Bushpig_2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure there are power strips that have surge protectors built into them, i'd give a look at the home depot, best buy, fry's electronics (Not to sure if you guys have those out in OH?), radio shack for your best options in power strips that have surge protectors built into them. I just googled "power strip surge protector" and a ton popped up that ranged from $9 to $79, so pick your poison!

Even if you spray everything with the LED Seal, there may be spots that you missed and it would be better to be safe then sorry, so i'd say go for the acrylic shield.

And from what I've read, most people use some sort of epoxy. Also, try to stay away from super glue, i hear that the vapor from the super glue can get inside the optics and mess it up. I have no personal experience with the vapor thing, but again, better safe than sorry.

GL and hth.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acrylic shield would be a good option. Also, you need to put some quick-blow fuses inline with the power to the LEDs. At what amperage are you running them?

CJ

OP
OP
Reefkeeper14

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there at .9 on the amperrage meter... I buy some acrylic this weekend and build a water sheild

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there at .9 on the amperrage meter... I buy some acrylic this weekend and build a water sheild
What kind of LEDs are you using? With XT-Es and XP-Gs, .9 is okay, even a little low. For XP-Es, 700 ma, or .7A is optimal, .85 is the highest I would go. The best way to protect your LEDs would be with the spray, I have seen LEDs fully submersed and still running after being sprayed, but I wouldn't try that. Inline fuses are the way to go, however quality drivers, and most drivers for that matter, will have built in surge protectors, but an inline fuse like said by CJO is your best bet, and I use those, along with resistors on any parellel circuits.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back