LED question on a 300 gallon tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter ricwilli
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ricwilli

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2008
Messages
285
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently doing an upgrade to a 300 gallon tank. 96x30x25. I have 5 AI's on my 215 tank right now. 72x24x31. My problem is that I can not have the led's any higher than 5 inches away from the water line. Hanging from the ceiling or having a tall canopy is not an option. I also do not want to buy another AI unit. My question is, will changing the optics to all 70 degree help with the spread, being that the leds are only 5 inches away from the water line?
 
Bump for LED gurus!
 
What optics do you have on them now? You might want to try send a PM to CalmSeasQuest- he has the AIs and has done a lot of PAR readings with various configurations.

CJ
 
I am going with a 250 because of the 2 cross braces and other cost other then needing another light in the 300.
Are you going to put three lights in the center? You may need to buy one more fixture so you can do 2-2-2.
 
Rick

I have 6 AI on my 350G (96X30 deep). They are 20 inches above the water surface. They have a good spread but the back of the tank seems a little darker. I do not have any corals there so I am OK. If you only raise them to 5 inches, even with 70 degree optics you will not have enough light for the whole tank. You can get away with 5 depending upon your coral placement and what you want to keep. I think you need a minimum of 6 modules on that size tank. More so since you cannot raise them more than 5 inches.

Sunny
 
What optics do you have on them now? You might want to try send a PM to CalmSeasQuest- he has the AIs and has done a lot of PAR readings with various configurations.

CJ

AI's come with 70 and 40 degrees optics.


Rick

I have 6 AI on my 350G (96X30 deep). They are 20 inches above the water surface. They have a good spread but the back of the tank seems a little darker. I do not have any corals there so I am OK. If you only raise them to 5 inches, even with 70 degree optics you will not have enough light for the whole tank. You can get away with 5 depending upon your coral placement and what you want to keep. I think you need a minimum of 6 modules on that size tank. More so since you cannot raise them more than 5 inches.

Sunny

WOW! 20 inches above water line. Thats high. I'm planning on putting the rock work in the middle of the front and back glass. Its going to be tough convincing the wife that I need another light. I'm going to see if I order some 70 degrees optic for one AI and see how it looks.

Thanks for all the response.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new