Led question

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say they ran their light at 30% or 40% what exactly are they referring to?

I have never had an LED fixture and I'm setting up my first now. I have found the AB+ settings and see how I can adjust the spectrum's etc. If they are all maxed out at 100% does that mean the light is run at 100%, is the sum of all spectrum % the total output for that light fixture?

Thanks

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. So example. I have a viparspectra 300 watt over my tank. I have the blue channel at 55% and the white channel at 12%. I think some of the fancy apps will then give you an aggregated percentage number.

What lights do you have and what tank. What do you plan to keep?

OP
OP
jesspal

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI Prime HD and the tank is 24” by 16”. I think the coverage will leave something to be desired but It’s gonna be mostly lps and softies. I am figuring to keep the less light demand corals around the edges and when I am ready buy a second prime.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say they ran their light at 30% or 40% what exactly are they referring to?

I have never had an LED fixture and I'm setting up my first now. I have found the AB+ settings and see how I can adjust the spectrum's etc. If they are all maxed out at 100% does that mean the light is run at 100%, is the sum of all spectrum % the total output for that light fixture?

Thanks
They are referring to the amount of intensity of the light. With traditional lighting tech..they run at 100% (On and off), with Leds due to their power most users only use a "percentage" of the light to meet the par requirements of their coral(s). Because these lights have the ability to change percentage based on the schedule set, another benefit is the end user can mimic sunrise and sunset as well as moonlight effects.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t already take a look at BRStv video on the prime they give a really good look at what will work on what tank. I have two over a 24x15 tank but it’s going to be mixed. I started with one with lps and softies and one would have been enough imo.

OP
OP
jesspal

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t already take a look at BRStv video on the prime they give a really good look at what will work on what tank. I have two over a 24x15 tank but it’s going to be mixed. I started with one with lps and softies and one would have been enough imo.

Yeah I have watched it a few times, I have programmed the light according to their recommended settings as well. My rocks have been soaking for a while as they suggested while I wait for my tank to arrive. I was gonna get a bigger light but i'm gonna see how this works first.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have watched it a few times, I have programmed the light according to their recommended settings as well. My rocks have been soaking for a while as they suggested while I wait for my tank to arrive. I was gonna get a bigger light but i'm gonna see how this works first.
For lps softies you should be fine also depends somewhat on your rock work and where shadows will be cast. And just like you said if you want later down the road you can get a second light to help with some sps when/if needed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back