LED to Metal Halides?

Many thanks, d2. Your input has been very helpful. I have a standard 90 so depth is 24". No canopy either so the lights will be suspended from the ceiling for adjustability.
 
So I've decided to go with Halides. However, the options available are a bit overwhelming. If possible, I'd like to pick up a used unit to save a few bucks but also want an optimal setup so I don't have to buy again anytime soon. If I can't find a good deal on a lightly used setup, I'm willing to just splurge on a new setup, but going to give used a go first. Seems many are selling somewhat custom setups, mixing and matching reflectors, ballasts and bulbs. Admittedly, the options available are a bit overwhelming. Which reflector, ballast and bulbs are best for a 90G (24" depth) SPS setup? Should I hold out for a halide T5 setup or simply a couple of pendants? Is a magnetic ballast better than electronic, and if so, which one? And then there's bulbs. While I prefer 20k color, I'm looking for optimal growth so I think 14k may be better? Are certain bulbs 'better' than others?
 
MH and/or T-5 for me. SPS dominant keeper for the past 8 years (20 year total). The Cebu setup looks sweet, but i have a canopy and Lumenarc reflectors with mogul MH 250W x 2. I have 4 fans (Silenx high cfm, low decibels), and dont have to run a chiller.

Tanks does very well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new