LEDs are deceptively bright

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use to have MH in my tank a decade ago, and also had T5s, decided to take the plunge and get LEDs when I got back into the hobby. Fast forward , and was scratching my head at my frog skin acro….kept messing with the light intensity because the light just looks a tad dim to me. Then it dawned on me that I bought a Par meter and it’s just sitting in the closet, it was the first thing I bought when purchasing my tank. Holly crap are these LEDs bright! Reading 400 par on the bottom of my tank, had to lower the intensity to just 46% to get to the 300 par on top and 150ish on the bottom. So lesson learned on LEDs and glad I bought a meter, a must have now for me, especially with these new LEDs and strongly suggest a light diffuser.

2X G6 XR30

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I use to have MH in my tank a decade ago, and also had T5s, decided to take the plunge and get LEDs when I got back into the hobby. Fast forward , and was scratching my head at my frog skin acro….kept messing with the light intensity because the light just looks a tad dim to me. Then it dawned on me that I bought a Par meter and it’s just sitting in the closet, it was the first thing I bought when purchasing my tank. Holly crap are these LEDs bright! Reading 400 par on the bottom of my tank, had to lower the intensity to just 46% to get to the 300 par on top and 150ish on the bottom. So lesson learned on LEDs and glad I bought a meter, a must have now for me, especially with these new LEDs and strongly suggest a light diffuser.

2X G6 XR30
Value of a PAR meter

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH and even some T5 were more of a broad spectrum that included wavelengths that our eyes pick up really well. LED is more targeted to just what the corals need and nothing more. Our eyes do not perceive it as being as bright so it looks darker while having more PUR.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back