LEDs & banding

ReefReady9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason this happens is because your camera and the LEDs are out of phase (different frequencies). I use an app called Cinema FV-5 that allows you adjust frame rate and shutter speed and a lot of other things that takes great pictures and video especially.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason this happens is because your camera and the LEDs are out of phase (different frequencies). I use an app called Cinema FV-5 that allows you adjust frame rate and shutter speed and a lot of other things that takes great pictures and video especially.

While that make sense, the majority of faster shutter speeds (faster than 1/50) seems challenging. I haven't had a chance to play with the light output settings yet and depending on the light frequencies potentially something like 1/200 may work while 1/120 doesn't. I was still surprised that almost anything fast that I tried was a fail. I could do focus tracking (moving the camera with target), which I've done before at race tracks on cars, but trying to get pin sharp pictures of fish at slow shutter speeds is definitely tricky. Wouldn't be a problem on T5/MH.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In film and video we use shutter speeds for arc lamps to reduce flicker. 24 fps is mathematically relatable to 60hertz. So we have certain safe shutter speeds.
You could scroll through higher speeds to see if you can find a sweet spot.

But I'm starting to wonder if it's not just a loose or worn connection or part causing the pulse to be inconsistent or it appears to be , slow.
As we know most folks don't experience this.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this snippet on another forum about GHL's new Mitras:

"GHL recently added a feature to the Mitras Lx7 called Photo/video mode, which increases the PWM frequency to eliminate banding when taking photos and videos"

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL recently added a feature to the Mitras Lx7 called Photo/video mode, which increases the PWM frequency to eliminate banding.
Haha, I follow your posts on the other forum since I love your HW choices. I shared the info here before I realized you already did.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL recently added a feature to the Mitras Lx7 called Photo/video mode, which increases the PWM frequency to eliminate banding.

Just read this snippet on another forum about GHL's new Mitras:

"GHL recently added a feature to the Mitras Lx7 called Photo/video mode, which increases the PWM frequency to eliminate banding when taking photos and videos"
Why don't my leds strobe?
Ai sol. Sbreeflight. Current orbit marine. Maxspect razor. And some junky jbj thing.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I follow your posts on the other forum since I love your HW choices. I shared the info here before I realized you already did.

Ha! And i'm waiting for your upcoming ____ tank build :)

Ai sol. Sbreeflight. Current orbit marine. Maxspect razor. And some junky jbj thing.

Beats me.. Can't seem to replicate the affect with my Nikon D800, neither from my mitras lx7 and gen 3 radion xr15 pro.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given how brutal it is, I was surprised there weren't more mentions. It makes photography on my Android phone impossible and the photos above are from a micro 4/3rds sensor. I'm using the original AI Prime (budget led), so I wondered if it was mostly a side affect of that light. It mostly occurs at faster shutter speeds when I'm trying to get the fish in focus.

I'm replacing the lights next month (lean towards Mitras or AP700) and photography is a factor. I know MH/T5 are better, but I'm guessing newer LEDs are better than this prime.
I would say it has a bad power supply. Most dimmable lights come with a PWM controller that controls the dimming Hz that is also replied upon the voltage frequency. Technically it could be either/or. If you can find parts, I assume you could fix it?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

This thread's a bit old. But I'd add that I just got some Mitras Lightbars and I get banding with my Android phone and webcam, but not iPhone.

I'll play around with the settings on the lights to see if I can find a sweet spot in terms of frequency for photos...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back