Lens advice for Cannon m50 Mark 2

Impromptu_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I am looking for a bit of advice from the people that will know. I just bought a cannon m50 mark 2 camera and would love to do some high quality videos of my reef tank.

Could someone recommend a lens to buy that will help me. I have a Lens focal length 15 - 45mm That came with it.

Im new to using a half decent camera so any advice on settings and also photo lens would be greatly appreciated.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of lens you are going for. For macro, you could use a Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro (about $300) that's a good macro lens that won't break the bank. For general purpose? I always recommend getting a 50 mm Prime lens to start off. You won't get the close up capabilities of a macro lens, but you will get a lower f-stop of around f/1.8.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impromptu_Reef

Impromptu_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of lens you are going for. For macro, you could use a Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro (about $300) that's a good macro lens that won't break the bank. For general purpose? I always recommend getting a 50 mm Prime lens to start off. You won't get the close up capabilities of a macro lens, but you will get a lower f-stop of around f/1.8.
I just bought the macro lens yesterday just after posting this. It’s pretty cool. I will look into the 50mm lens too. Thanks for your help. I just need to get used to the settings for each lens. Phones are far simpler but I have a couple of pictures I have taken that have wowed me.

Upvote 0

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the macro lens yesterday just after posting this. It’s pretty cool. I will look into the 50mm lens too. Thanks for your help. I just need to get used to the settings for each lens. Phones are far simpler but I have a couple of pictures I have taken that have wowed me.
It's a learning curve for sure, haha, but the payoff is well worth it once you learn how to use a dlsr!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impromptu_Reef

Impromptu_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a learning curve for sure, haha, but the payoff is well worth it once you learn how to use a dlsr!
Deffo. I got the 50mm lens you recommended. Very happy with that too. Thank you. I just need one for a full tank shot now then I’m set I reckon.

Is it better to use a filter or edit in post? I have a tiger 85b lens but I need to somehow get it to fit the other lens too.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back