Lens advice for Cannon m50 Mark 2

Impromptu_Reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I am looking for a bit of advice from the people that will know. I just bought a cannon m50 mark 2 camera and would love to do some high quality videos of my reef tank.

Could someone recommend a lens to buy that will help me. I have a Lens focal length 15 - 45mm That came with it.

Im new to using a half decent camera so any advice on settings and also photo lens would be greatly appreciated.
 
Depends on what kind of lens you are going for. For macro, you could use a Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro (about $300) that's a good macro lens that won't break the bank. For general purpose? I always recommend getting a 50 mm Prime lens to start off. You won't get the close up capabilities of a macro lens, but you will get a lower f-stop of around f/1.8.
 
Upvote 0
Depends on what kind of lens you are going for. For macro, you could use a Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro (about $300) that's a good macro lens that won't break the bank. For general purpose? I always recommend getting a 50 mm Prime lens to start off. You won't get the close up capabilities of a macro lens, but you will get a lower f-stop of around f/1.8.
I just bought the macro lens yesterday just after posting this. It’s pretty cool. I will look into the 50mm lens too. Thanks for your help. I just need to get used to the settings for each lens. Phones are far simpler but I have a couple of pictures I have taken that have wowed me.
 
Upvote 0
I just bought the macro lens yesterday just after posting this. It’s pretty cool. I will look into the 50mm lens too. Thanks for your help. I just need to get used to the settings for each lens. Phones are far simpler but I have a couple of pictures I have taken that have wowed me.
It's a learning curve for sure, haha, but the payoff is well worth it once you learn how to use a dlsr!
 
Upvote 0
It's a learning curve for sure, haha, but the payoff is well worth it once you learn how to use a dlsr!
Deffo. I got the 50mm lens you recommended. Very happy with that too. Thank you. I just need one for a full tank shot now then I’m set I reckon.

Is it better to use a filter or edit in post? I have a tiger 85b lens but I need to somehow get it to fit the other lens too.
 
Upvote 0

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new